Looking for rim suggestions.

Honeybat

I recently purchased my jk. Slowly changing things to the way I would like them. I currently have a 3 inch lift, and I'm running on 20 inch black rhino rims with the tires at 30. I had planned to eventually change rim size as I'm unable to air down without fear of rolling off the bead. Took the vehicle in recently as it was making a strange noise when driving. (Was told jeeps make noise... 3 mechanics later, yeah its the bearings.) Was told by a mechanic the rims are too heavy, it's putting stress on the bearings, and this will just keep happening. As this is my first jk I have no idea what I should be looking for when buying rims. Any and all information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've never heard of too heavy of a rim. What will hurt wheel bearing are big oversized tires, wide rims with lots of lip, and wheel spacers.

26CFE452-31BE-4E90-8A75-0F36D96C912E.jpeg

I love my dirty life wheels, sporting an awesome 3.5 backspacing which gives the stance of spacers without having them and they fit around my 1 ton steering no problem

I recently purchased my jk. Slowly changing things to the way I would like them. I currently have a 3 inch lift, and I'm running on 20 inch black rhino rims with the tires at 30. I had planned to eventually change rim size as I'm unable to air down without fear of rolling off the bead. Took the vehicle in recently as it was making a strange noise when driving. (Was told jeeps make noise... 3 mechanics later, yeah its the bearings.) Was told by a mechanic the rims are too heavy, it's putting stress on the bearings, and this will just keep happening. As this is my first jk I have no idea what I should be looking for when buying rims. Any and all information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I was in a similar situation in July. I purchased the Jeep with these 22’s but they were incredibly loud and sluggish due to the mud terrains(first pic). I ended going with a 17x9 wheel (Fuel Vector-2nd pic) and some nice 35” Toyo Open Country RTs……SO much better…..

77DD8D12-877E-4E63-AF54-E7BBBE99322C.jpeg

0D6873D2-AF96-411F-8CEA-E44E0D549E8E.png

I really like some of the rims Fuel makes . I have Fuel right now and will
be switching to another Fuel rim this fall. The nice thing about many
of the Fiel rims , they have 4.5" backspacing which will give enough
clearance for 37"s for sure and 1 ton steering drag & tie.
Just not a fan at all of spacers . It does increase the load on wheel bearings
by quite a bit . I know , yeah, guys run em. It just my humble opinion.
As far as sizing goes ,17x9 is the sweet spot .

Reactions: Honeybat and mrjp
I was in a similar situation in July. I purchased the Jeep with these 22’s but they were incredibly loud and sluggish due to the mud terrains(first pic). I ended going with a 17x9 wheel (Fuel Vector-2nd pic) and some nice 35” Toyo Open Country RTs……SO much better…..

View attachment 122199

View attachment 122200
I like your fenders, did it come with the Jeep?

I really like some of the rims Fuel makes . I have Fuel right now and will
be switching to another Fuel rim this fall. The nice thing about many
of the Fiel rims , they have 4.5" backspacing which will give enough
clearance for 37"s for sure and 1 ton steering drag & tie.
Just not a fan at all of spacers . It does increase the load on wheel bearings
by quite a bit . I know , yeah, guys run em. It just my humble opinion.
As far as sizing goes ,17x9 is the sweet spot .
My 2016 Rubicon had AEV Saltas on it when I got it. They look good, though the black coating is prone to dings if you get too cozy to rocks beside the trail. They also have recessed stems, which is also good around rocks and brush. They're spendy though. The ones on mine were added by a previous owner.

My 2016 Rubicon had AEV Saltas on it when I got it. They look good, though the black coating is prone to dings if you get too cozy to rocks beside the trail. They also have recessed stems, which is also good around rocks and brush. They're spendy though. The ones on mine were added by a previous owner.
We have the XD Rockstar on hers, and the Rockstar II on mine. The center caps are plastic, so they're easily destroyed. Hers more so than mine, because the caps on the Rockstar are further out than on the II. But realistically, if you trash the center cap, you're likely chewing up the rim as well. And replacement center caps are dirt cheap. I know, because I lost one after about 200 miles. I was stupid and didn't loctite the hex bolts.

We have the XD Rockstar on hers, and the Rockstar II on mine. The center caps are plastic, so they're easily destroyed. Hers more so than mine, because the caps on the Rockstar are further out than on the II. But realistically, if you trash the center cap, you're likely chewing up the rim as well. And replacement center caps are dirt cheap. I know, because I lost one after about 200 miles. I was stupid and didn't loctite the hex bolts.
The centercaps on the Saltas are metal. They would ding up too. But we are driving off road, so "pretty" is mostly temporary.