JKUR lockers

Funin4low

After doing the Yellow trail at the TN fall jam and using 4lo for the first time, I noticed that the rear locker won't disengage when I push the button for making tight turns. I have looked in the forum on to see if anyone has posted about it. So I was wondering if anyone has found a relatively cheap way to wire up a way to engage/disengage the rear locker while still in 4lo or even possibly while in 2wd too,

The Rubicon came from the factory with a button to engage/disengage the locker. If it's not working properly, it's probably better to fix it than to try to reinvent the wheel.
Don't use lockers in 2WD. If you need more traction, put it in 4WD.

Reactions: tJKrider
Mine also will hang up at times, so far it has eventually come unlocked before exiting the trail and I have just ignored the problem.

Others have had this problem as well and everyone points to the actuator, part# 68312884AA.

The Rubicon came from the factory with a button to engage/disengage the locker. If it's not working properly, it's probably better to fix it than to try to reinvent the wheel.
Don't use lockers in 2WD. If you need more traction, put it in 4WD.
So the locker is suppose to disengage when the button is pushed when in 4wd? Is the light suppose to turn off too?

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Mine also will hang up at times, so far it has eventually come unlocked before exiting the trail and I have just ignored the problem.

Others have had this problem as well and everyone points to the actuator, part# 68312884AA.
Thank you for the info and especially the part# I'm new to the JK world along with having a Rubicon. It's a learning curving from having a TJ.

So the locker is suppose to disengage when the button is pushed when in 4wd? Is the light suppose to turn off too?
The locker button, at least on mine, is a rocker type switch. Down twice engages both axles, starting with the rear, up disengages them. The light will flash until they are fully disengaged. They only work in 4 wheel low and should disengage upon leaving 4lo.

Side note:

I also come from a TJ ( still have one actually) and have never looked back. At times I miss the nimbleness of it but, the JK wins out everywhere else IMO.

The trail jam is a good ride, we always have a good time. The spring ride is huge, spanning over several days, we go at least one day every year. I see you close to windrock, that is a great place to ride if you haven’t already been.

Last edited:
Reactions: tJKrider
Yes, but like the sway bar disconnect, it's not instant. The switch is a toggle. Push the bottom to engage the rear locker. Push it again to engage the front. Push the top top to disengage. It may be counter-intuitive. My initial assumption was to push the bottom to toggle the rear and the top to toggle the front. The light will go out when it's disengaged. It will disengage automatically if you shift out of 4Lo.

Reactions: Danarch
Yes, but like the sway bar disconnect, it's not instant. The switch is a toggle. Push the bottom to engage the rear locker. Push it again to engage the front. Push the top top to disengage. It may be counter-intuitive. My initial assumption was to push the bottom to toggle the rear and the top to toggle the front. The light will go out when it's disengaged. It will disengage automatically if you shift out of 4Lo.
I've tried to push the button to disengage the rear locker, but it just seems to switch between the front and rear locker. Maybe I did it wrong. I'll have to try again mess around with it some more.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
The locker button, at least on mine, is a rocker type switch. Down twice engages both axles, starting with the rear, up disengages them. The light will flash until they are fully disengaged. They only work in 4 wheel low and should disengage upon leaving 4lo.

Side note:

I also come from a TJ ( still have one actually) and have never looked back. At times I miss the nimbleness of it but, the JK wins out everywhere else IMO.

The trail jam is a good ride, we always have a good time. The spring ride is huge, spanning over several days, we go at least one day every year. I see you close to windrock, that is a great place to ride if you haven’t already been.
Mine is just a button. It's a 2014 so apparently they changed it.

I sold the TJ to help fund the move out here. There are times that I wished I had it, but needed the room for the family.

I went to the Spring trail jam too and had fun then too. I haven't been to Windrock yet, but can't wait to go. Don't know anyone with a jeep around here to go with yet.

Interesting. I have an '11 and a '13 and they're both toggles.
Here is what mine looks like. I guess they switched in '14

20231122_163429.jpg

Here is what mine looks like. I guess they switched in '14

View attachment 125589
Looks like a “toggle” or more of a rocker. Push the top half and it will disengage the lockers. Give it time, don’t just keep hitting it back and forth. I did that the first time, but sometimes the lockers need a few minutes to disengage especially if there is torque on the axle.