JK Range Switch or Neutral Position Switch Replacement or Adjustment

Tootallracing

Good Morning

I am the original owner of 2009 Jeep JK with the 3.8 V6 engine and a 4 speed automatic transmission. The vehicle mileage is just under 175K. I have what I believe is a range switch or neutral positioning switch that needs to be replaced or adjusted. The Jeep occasionally will not start unless you wiggle the gear shifter position lever. I'm having to do this more frequently.

Has anyone here had a similar issue and how did you repair the problem? What is the degree of difficulty replacing the switch? I did a site search without finding anything specific.

Thank You

Mike

Could also be the shifter cable bushings, there have been a few threads in the last year on here where people have had them wear out or break. Also a couple with the neutral start assembly in the trans was bad.

Check out this has the bushing part numbers in case that's the problem. https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/stuck-in-reverse.27026/

Last edited:
I agree that I'd probably at least look at the bushings first, as that tends to be the issue more often than not.