JK Handbrake not holding when applied.

trover

Am I the only one having trouble with my handbrake. Every time I adjust it, or have it adjusted, I have a handbrake for a few weeks, then nothing again. Then no handbrake again. And no I don't drive with it on, but that's á good explanation of what's happening.

We have had our 2012 JK for just over a month now with no brake issues. Has just over a 100k miles. Cable worn out possibly?

Reactions: BigAL07
Have you checked the shoes inside the drums incorporated into the rear rotor?

There is a rubber plug you can pull out and manually adjust the parking brake...I don't think the auto adjust.

-Mac

Reactions: BigAL07
If you have a stick shift you definitely need the hand brake. Mine needs attention also. If I’m in my driveway, which doesn’t have much slope, I can not have my engine running while I work on something.

If you have a stick shift you definitely need the hand brake. Mine needs attention also. If I’m in my driveway, which doesn’t have much slope, I can not have my engine running while I work on something.
Wheel chocks, i wouldn’t trust a handbrake or a vehicle in park etc.

I have posted this before. My 2010 E brake started to fail a year into the warranty (winters here). And it did mess with my rear wheel sensor. So I ripped it all out some 11yrs ago, use chocks to idle on an incline in neutral. Its first year, on a steep incline I still needed to put my jeep into second to keep it from rolling when I parked it for the night.

I used to drive a stick,so I know what you mean. But my JKU is an automatic so it's not really needed

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
I've told my wife several times to set the hand brake on our automatic before taking her foot off the brake pedal. That way it doesn't put pressure on our transmission from rolling back on our incline. She finally gets it now haha

Reactions: mrjp