JK Antenna Replacements

timfitz

I have a 2014 JK with a small 13" antenna. Unfortunately, I can't seem to pick up FM channels very well. While I am on the fringe of the signal limits, other cars I own don't have any problem picking up channels. I verified that all connections behind the radio are tight and secure, so I can only assume I need a better antenna. I've been researching antenna replacement options, but so many of the sites that rate these things are just glorified ads, and not real "product rating" sites, so I need a little help from the group here. I found what I thought was a really good well-rated 13" antenna replacement, and ordered it from Amazon, but saw little improvement (I'm returning it).

Sooooo... who has recommendations for antennas that actually pick up channels better than the short 13"er. Do I go with a longer antenna? And if so, how long? What models? Etc. And, if I choose one of these, are they carwash safe?

I'm sure there are more questions I could come up with, but this is just for starts.

Gotta be honest, I have a 13" Rydonair that I've had no issues with for almost 3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDFQDVJ/?tag=jkforum-20

Full disclosure, I don't listen to terrestrial radio. I have Sirius XM, but I listen to Pandora more thru my phone because the sound quality is much better. And there is a free version that has a commercial once every 3-4 songs and isn't that annoying, or you can subscribe to the ad-free version for $5 a month- far less than Sirius XM.

Thanks for the recommendation. That's literally the EXACT one I already bought that made no real difference. I pick up some stations, but a lot just won't come in.

I have a Rydonair on both my Jeep and my F-150. I have had zero degradation in the signal or clarity. I wish I had a solution for you. Have you tried going back to a stock antenna to compare?

I am not sure, but that looks like the one I have. My wife got me one for a Christmas gift and the few times I’ve used it, it has worked fine. I mostly listen through my phone with Apple Music, very reasonable and the entire family has access to it.

I have a stubby and it's horrible. I put a stock one back on and reception was back to excellent. It really depends on the terrain and distance to transmission towers if anything less than 31" or so will work. The factory antenna is tuned for best performance.

I've bent a couple on the trails so I generally have the stubby on in summer. If I want terrestrial radio, I use the iheart app on my android head unit.

I have a Rydonair on both my Jeep and my F-150. I have had zero degradation in the signal or clarity. I wish I had a solution for you. Have you tried going back to a stock antenna to compare?
I don't have the original factory one. I bought the Jeep used and it already had the shorter 13" antenna on it. The original owner lived within 20 miles of the city, so I assume the shorter replacement one worked great for them. I live just under 50 miles away from the radio station antennas, putting me near the outer edge of FM signals. So, maybe the longer factory antenna might work for me. Just need to find one that is not too expensive or from a site that doesn't charge me an arm or a leg for shipping. I'm guessing they are a bit pricier at the dealers. I found one on Amazon for $27 shipped.

So, are there any problems with those long 31" factory antennas? I'm not talking about reception, but more "functionality". Do they whip around in the wind, make noise while you are driving, even hit the top of the Jeep. Are they problematic when you take the top off? And are they safe in a car wash (I'd hate to have to unscrew it every time I get my Jeep washed)?

So, are there any problems with those long 31" factory antennas? I'm not talking about reception, but more "functionality". Do they whip around in the wind, make noise while you are driving, even hit the top of the Jeep. Are they problematic when you take the top off? And are they safe in a car wash (I'd hate to have to unscrew it every time I get my Jeep washed)?
I've only taken mine through brushless car washes & have had no issues in that regards. Wind noise is negligible compared to 35" nitto's :). It does slap the 6" windshield mounted kc's I have. It's the same antenna Mopar uses on most of their vehicles, so you could probably pick one up at a junk yard from a Durango or Liberty. Biggest problem I've had is that it gets caught on branches.

Just the way that wave propagations and signals work, a shorter antenna is going to get poorer reception. People that get good reception with them are close enough to the radio stations they listen to. There is no way around this. Get an OEM length one. They are fine. The only reason people remove them is because of sticks and trees on the trail... and the same idea as blacking out your tail lights, you lessen the functionality, but it looks "cool"

Thanks all. I did a true comparison between the factory antennas on my other vehicles, and the 13" Ryondair on my Jeep, and have decided to stick with it. Turns out, it actually WAS better than the old 13" antenna, and probably about 95% effective compared to the other vehicles (I get minor signal dropouts). I appreciate all the comments!

If you have any local Jeep clubs or Facebook groups, you might pop on and ask if anyone has one they want to part with. At the very least, let you borrow to check the reception. You may get one for cheap or for free, as most folks don't keep these things when they change them out.

Reactions: mrjp