Jeep sputters and shakes between 30-45 mph

JRed54321

Hello there. A new member here needing some advice, I have a 2010 wrangler Jku. I noticed when I get up to 30 to 45 mph my jeeps starts to sputter and shake, but when it gets to higher speeds it goes away. I’ve checked the dash for warning lights and there’s nothing. I’ve also had the whole front end replaced with new parts, so Im guessing that’s not the problem. I dont know where to start any advice would be appreciated. Thanks +

Last edited:
It’s automatic, a little bit higher than 1200. It doesn’t do it till I get a few miles down the road when the engine is up to operating temperature. I checked transmission mounting bolts and engine mounts everything is tight. I did take off the torque converter and flywheel cover and when you put it in drive you can hear a shutter from where the torque converter is.

Reactions: Speartip
It’s automatic, a little bit higher than 1200. It doesn’t do it till I get a few miles down the road when the engine is up to operating temperature. I checked transmission mounting bolts and engine mounts everything is tight. I did take off the torque converter and flywheel cover and when you put it in drive you can hear a shutter from where the torque converter is.

Do you find when close to 1200 RPM, step on gas to switch to lower gear it goes away ?
Next time you take it out . While driving at the problem
speed & RPM manually put in in 2nd .
If it goes away than it’s the same problem I & many others had .
I got trans fluid flushed and filter changed . On a hunch I was wondering when was fluid changed if ever . I’m 2nd owner .
Solved my issue .
I did read when researching other guys got torque converter switched out as recommended by mechanic .
Not cheap so would try fluid & filter change first .
Hopefully solves your issue

Last edited:
Ahhhh, details. Always good when asking for advice. :)

So most likely causes would be bad/old/low transmission fluid (best case), bad torque converter/flywheel (worst case). I'd start with a flush, fluid and filter and see if that solves the problem. If not, you're going to have to pull things apart.

• Sad
Reactions: TROY66/68
Do you find when close to 1200 RPM, step on gas to switch to lower gear it goes away ?
Next time you take it out . While driving at the problem
speed & RPM manually put in in 2nd .
If it goes away than it’s the same problem I & many others had .
I got trans fluid flushed and filter changed . On a hunch I was wondering when was fluid changed if ever . I’m 2nd owner .
Solved my issue .
I did read when researching other guys got torque converter switched out as recommended by mechanic .
Not cheap so would try fluid & filter change first .
Hopefully solves your issue

Ahhhh, details. Always good when asking for advice. :)

So most likely causes would be bad/old/low transmission fluid (best case), bad torque converter/flywheel (worst case). I'd start with a flush, fluid and filter and see if that solves the problem. If not, you're going to have to pull things apart.
I thought it was a bad Idea to flush and older Auto. I have only had sticks the last 47yrs, just asking?

I thought it was a bad Idea to flush and older Auto. I have only had sticks the last 47yrs, just asking?

That’s a good question . Before I got mine done seen comments on a couple diff forums stating that a flush can cause blockages etc .
The comments were never first hand experience but did give me a moment of pause .
Went to a couple legit Trans shops here and asked that very question .
While it can happen it’s extremely rare .
This internet thing sometimes blows info all out of proportion . So I would say completely safe unless your the 1 in a 1000 that it may happen to .

Reactions: Dirty Dog
That’s a good question . Before I got mine done seen comments on a couple diff forums stating that a flush can cause blockages etc .
The comments were never first hand experience but did give me a moment of pause .
Went to a couple legit Trans shops here and asked that very question .
While it can happen it’s extremely rare .
This internet thing sometimes blows info all out of proportion . So I would say completely safe unless your the 1 in a 1000 that it may happen to .

I always think it's best to drop the pan, change the filter and inspect the pan for metal. It'll let you know if there's any problems with the trans.

That's one of those things you always hear about happening to a friend of a cousins brothers neighbors buddys sister.
One of the reasons for flushing a system is to clear it out. So yes, it is possible for the stuff being flushed out to plug things up. On the other hand, if you don't flush it, that stuff can plug things up. And not flushing it means that, over time, there will be more and more stuff floating around to plug things up.