Jeep Mod

rjohn

I’ve got a 2017 Jeep Wrangler with the below tires and lift kit on it:
  • 35x12.50 Hercules Terra Trac M/T’s
  • Lift system is the 4” Rough Country suspension lift system
I want to eventually replace the tires with something that is not as tall and rides smoother. I’m in my late 60’s and it will eventually become harder and harder to climb into my Jeep, so I’d like it to be about 4“ to 5” lower. Can it be done without replacing the 4” lift kit? The tires are also very rough riding. I don’t do rocks, sand or mud, so it’s literally all hard surface highway. I need a smoother riding tire, but don’t expect to get a Cadillac ride.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_6179_Original.jpeg

Lowering the air pressure will make it ride better, most put the max pressure in them and it's to much. Going to a different size tire you'll have to recalibrate your speedometer.

Depending how small you go on your tires you'll probably only lower it about 1-2".

Lowering the air pressure will make it ride better, most put the max pressure in them and it's to much. Going to a different size tire you'll have to recalibrate your speedometer.

Depending how small you go on your tires you'll probably only lower it about 1-2".
I keep around 35-38 psi in the tires. I lowered the pressure a while back to around 32 psi, but it felt like it was “floating” on me. Very uncomfortable driving feeling. I also have the equipment to recalibrate my speedometer, so that’s no issue.

Honestly? Sell that one for a profit and buy a stock suspensioned Wrangler. The cost to put your’s lower would be $$$.

I’m also running 35” XTs at 26 psi after determining that was proper for even tire wear using powdered chalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryD
To lower the Jeep 4" without removing the lift kit is possible. It'll look ridiculous. You would need to reduce the tire size by 8", since only the half of the tire below the hub affects height. So all you need to do is swap those tires for a set of 28" rubber.

If you want something low to the ground purely for street driving, you just bought the wrong vehicle.

You can lower the lift to 2 - 2.5" and keep the 35's. I'm 67 and my JKU is the perfect height with a 2.5" lift to step in and out of. But, I'm 6'6" too, so that makes a lot of difference when getting in and out. Conversely, my wife would not be happy if I had 4+" of lift as she has issues now, but has figured it out over the years.

But seriously, if you're not off-roading it, and it's basically an asphalt DD, the lift and tires are only hurting the gas mileage (not that it's anything to be proud of regardless). But hey, it looks good!