How to fully disable traction control and other electronic nannies on your Jeep Wrangler JK

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Why would you need to disable the traction control and other electronic nannies on your JK you might ask? When turning off the traction control using the switch on the dashboard, it's not actually fully disabled. The electronic nannies will still kick in in off-roading situations. The issue with this is that when you're doing actual off-roading (meaning you aren't driving on the streets in bad weather), these electronic nannies are generally doing more harm than good, so you want to turn them off 100%, as having them activate will be problematic on the trail.

This video below is based off other research online and a couple YouTube videos on how to delete (temporarily) the ESC, ESP, BLD, ABS, and all other government nanny crap (that is electronic stability control, brake lock differential, and anything else that runs for your safety including anti-lock brakes).

DISCLAIMER: You are doing this at your own risk. I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE DAILY DRIVING WITH THE SYSTEM DISABLED, as it really does work and can save your life. In other words, unless you are at an off-road park doing real off-roading, you should keep your electronic nannies enabled. Driving in snow, or on any sort of paved road (regardless of conditions) does not count as off-roading or wheeling.

To do this mod, you'll need a Ulincos normally closed switch (also known as N.O.) to temporarily break the signal to the accelerometer (I assume that's what it is). All you have to do is cycle the ignition and it all resets to normal.

Here's the video that explains how to wire in the switch:

My 2007 I got used came with Antirocks and aftermarket axles. It would apply the ESC/TC while braking along a long sweeper. I put a hemi in it, so I ended up doing to the Hemi PCM, but I was able to disable (from what I can tell) all of the stability and traction control. I can now peel out on pavement, and slide it in the dirt without having to push the traction control button.

I have HPTuners so I was able to easily buy the credits, but there shouldn't be an issue to have your local tuner do it for you. I was also able to adjust the timing map to advance it for better fuel mileage.

In the meantime, you can shift your JK into 4 Hi and hold down the button for about five seconds. The ESCOFF light will come on and 90% of the system is supposed to be disabled. This doesn't work for 2wd mode.
Think I will stick with the 90%
Off than messing around with something like that .

Reactions: Pepperbelly
I did this on a 2017 jk/r manual, I ran the dimmer to the radio dimmer... The harness is right behind the netting holder on the dash, do not clip the purple dark blue, that is for your air bags