octank

Hi jeepers ! I just got the dreaded pentastar tick 3.6 on 2015 jku I took it to the dealership under warranty and they replaced all the cams,lifters,rocker arms and rear main seal. I took pictures of the cams and they were grounded down excessively in my eyes. I'm trying to get jeep to replace the engine. Anybody deal with this ?

Screenshot_20231010_135541_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231010_135550_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231010_135646_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231010_135703_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231010_135724_Gallery.jpg

You're trying to determine if the cam was ground excessively by eye? That's cute.
The answer is simple. Put a mic on it. If it's within spec, then it's within spec. If not, then it's not.
I would be amazed if you convinced them to replace the entire engine.

I had similar issues w/ our 2015. We bought it used, so no factory warranty.
The repair came to $4,000.

I had a 2008 Dodge Charger w/ 5.7 Hemi that had the lifetime warranty.
Dropped a valve seat in 2018 at 80K miles.
They replaced the motor for free and never gave me any hassle, but I have heard of multiple cases where they attempted to get out of the liability by buying the vehicles from the owners.

That said, my advice is to allow them to repair the vehicle and keep the warranty going.
Worst case, the repair isn't right and they need to fix whatever else goes bad as a result.

Reactions: octank
Hi jeepers ! I just got the dreaded pentastar tick 3.6 on 2015 jku I took it to the dealership under warranty and they replaced all the cams,lifters,rocker arms and rear main seal. I took pictures of the cams and they were grounded down excessively in my eyes. I'm trying to get jeep to replace the engine. Anybody deal with this ?

View attachment 125360

View attachment 125361

View attachment 125362

View attachment 125363

View attachment 125364
How many miles on your vehicle when this popped up?

Update. Jeep replaced all cams, lifters,rocker arms,rear main seal and are bringing the jeep back in to drop the oil pan searching for metal for a possible engine replacement. This is all under lifetime mopar warranty. Anything else I should have them check and would a new engine be the best situation? Lemme know

Update. Jeep replaced all cams, lifters,rocker arms,rear main seal and are bringing the jeep back in to drop the oil pan searching for metal for a possible engine replacement. This is all under lifetime mopar warranty. Anything else I should have them check and would a new engine be the best situation? Lemme know
Since it is there how about a check for guide wear and/or valve seat recession? Having compression and leakdown checks would be helpful. My guess is if they found one or more cylinders with high leakdown coupled with your other valvetrain issue it would be cheaper to replace the engine.

Does anyone know the part number for a new 3.6 pentastar crate engine. Brand new not a remanufactured or refurbished. Jeep is replacing under warranty and want to know what there giving. Thanks

Got some pictures from the dealership. They found metal in oil pan including a big chunk of something, anybody recognize what it is. Also found metal in filter,magnetic dip tube, oil control valve screen. Dealer says it needs a new engine. Mopar warranty still says this isn't enough proof and want me to pay 1 grand to break down the motor. If they end up covering it and replacing engine I don't have to pay. If they deny warranty than I'll owe a 1k.. what do yall think, check out the big piece of something in the pan, for me that's enough to justify

OIL FILTER SALEMI.jpg

METAL IN PAN SALEMI 2.jpg

METAL IN PAN SALEMI 3.jpg

METAL IN PAN SALEMI 4.jpg

METAL IN PAN SALEMI.jpg

SALEMI PICK UP TUBE.jpg

That looks a lot like a piece of brittle, cracked and degraded wire loom to me.
It probably wasn’t “IN” the oil pan until they removed it from the block & it fell in.
When I replaced the clamps on my battery, the loom in that area basically disintegrated with the slightest touch.

Quite frankly, who cares if their rebuild doesn’t last, it’s a LIFETIME warranty and THEY are doing the work.
If it fails again, THEN you’ll get a new engine!

@WestCoastDan was at dealership today and they confirmed it was broken chunk of metal found in the pan. And pieces and shavings throughout as described. The lifetime warranty is only good until the cost of repair exceeds the value of vehicle so realistically not lifetime. It's 2015 jku with 141k miles. Not sure what a full engine replacement from the dealership costs but if it needs it than I'd like it done of coarse.

I'm not familiar with Jeep/Chrysler engine components but that would be enough for me to spend the money. The first large chunk looks like it could be part of an oil control system possibly... If I understand correctly the most you'll be out is $1k to get to a functioning engine?