How can I get better MPG from my Jeep Wrangler JK?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
This article applies to the Jeep Wrangler JK (2007-present).
The truth is, gas mileage depends on a variety of simple factors, most of which relate to how you drive. Cars with poorer average MPGs are often due to the driver having a heavy foot, idling for extended periods of time or poorly maintaining the tires. Each factor plays a crucial role in how much fuel is used in order to propel the vehicle. This is good because it means you can easily improve the gas mileage on your Jeep Wrangler JK without making costly repairs.

infographic-mpg-115036.png

Materials Needed
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Flashpaq (optional)
There is not one way to maximize gas mileage. Each step presented here aims to highlight some things you can do to better improve the fuel economy on your JK.

Step 1 – Check the tire pressure
Before going above and beyond by installing a flashpaq or even buying new tires, make sure to check your tire pressure. If the pressure is too low, your mileage will take a large hit. The best rule of thumb is to refill the air pressure according to the PSI level indicated on the sticker in your door jamb or owner's manual.

CheckTirePressure.jpg

Figure 1. Check your tire pressure to ensure they're filled to spec.

Step 2 – Maintain your vehicle
Keep up with all oil and filter changes. Remember: it's about fuel, spark and air. So if your engine is lacking in anyone of these areas, then make sure to give it a complete tune up and replace necessary components.

PentastarOilChange_0743.jpg

Figure 2. Maintain your JK's fluids.

Step 3 – Change your driving habits
This is the most crucial thing to do in order to increase the fuel economy on your JK. If you drive a manual transmission, it will be easier to keep the revs under 3k and thereby increase your overall fuel economy. However, those of you who drive automatics, pay attention to your speed. Those who stay at 65 miles per hour tend to have the best highway results. The official terms for this is hypermilling, which refers to the art of driving. Also, pay attention to hard stops and heavy acceleration, and coast when allowed.

emblog2.jpg

Figure 3. Learn the art of hypermilling.

Reactions: citizenerasing
I made 1 change and went from 17mpg to 22mpg.

When my 33x10.50 wore out I bought 7.50R16s.
Instantly adding 95 miles between gas stations.

Plus smoother ride and less expensive tires that last longer. Cut my tire costs by 50%.
Since I drive 24K miles a year, that change saves me 320 gallons of gas a year.... or 7K miles of free driving

Reactions: rkristiniak
When I worked for a living I would reset the MPG as I headed for home. I learned to watch the terrain and accelerate when gravity worked for me, and wait til the top of hills to come to full speed. Let off the gas when there is a red light ahead, usually it will turn green before you get there. It took no longer to get home, but MPG really improved.
With the 2013 jeep I found it will do 22MPG when the speed limit is 55 or less. Doing 65-70 on the 4 lane I loose at least 2 MPG. Luckily I don't live in a city so I don't have to stop and start every few seconds.

My Jeep will often go more than 200 miles and use very little gas

When I tow it behind my motor home

The tread pattern has to make a impact too. I have BFG mud terrains and I know when I switch to my summer tires it will make a huge difference in mpg. I only get 17 with the Rubicon. I'm sure it doesnt help that I have 410 gears too.

Plus smoother ride and less expensive tires that last longer. Cut my tire costs by 50%.
Since I drive 24K miles a year, that change saves me 320 gallons of gas a year.... or 7K miles of free driving

7.5 x 16s, in which size?? you left out the most important part of the info...

It is a hard tire to find, the Yokohama 742S 7.50R16 is 32" tall, 7.50" wide.

It might be too skinny for the JK Flare, but the point is gas mileage takes a hit with bigger, wider floatation tires. Most of us ignore that, me too. But I have always loved pizza cutters and after installing these, with no other changes, I could not believe the jump from 17mpg to 22mpg.
yokohama-y742s.jpg

Ironically, I went from 16'' wheels & 31'' C tires to 17'' wheels and 34'' E tires w/ a small lift and we've been getting better gas mileage and not due to the current price of gas. listed at 16 city 18 highway we're now getting 19 city 23 highway. I checked my setup before purchasing. I used two reference sites for this:

Wheel-size.com & tacomaworlds wheel tire calculator.

The main thing I was looking for was the tire rotation and how many times the tire rotated as compared to larger or smaller tires. The Nitto Ridge Grappler actually rotated less than some of the 33's 35's & 37's which calculated to better fuel economy.

I have to chime in here... if you go up in tire size or change gears you need to change the computer setting on gear/tire size so your mileage will reflect it. You go up in tire size the mileage will be off just like if you change gears in axles, mileage (odometer) will be different.

Reactions: Bazz83

Hello, am MOST curious to do something similar. May I ask you, what is 7.50R16?