Overheating 2017 Jeep Wrangler JK

SavAnnah

the past three weeks i have had my jeep nonstop in the shop for two reasons one Problem is my jeep keeps slightly overheating when I go up hills only goes about three marks over halfway, but not quite a quarter ..I don’t believe it’s because the engine is being overworked as it doesn’t overheat when I’m accelerating to get on the freeway I have had the thermostat replaced(yes it’s a factory thermostat from Mopar) as well as the air vacuumed out of the coolant system and that seemed to not help since its still doing the same thing another problem is when I start the vehicle it was doing a sort of rattling noise. My mechanic told me that it was my tensioners and timing chain so we replaced that but yet my car still has a very rough start. I’m not sure if this is just how jeeps sound when they start up in the morning…. Any thoughts?

How was the air vacuumed out of the cooling system? I'd suggest doing it like we do, Jack up the front of the Jeep about 6". Then remove the cap and start the Jeep watch for coolant to drop and add as needed.

I just know my mechanic said that he had a tool that was used to vacuum all the air out of the cooling system he didn’t think this would be needed because it’s usually only necessary to do on Audi and Mercedes… however I will have to suggest to him getting the air out by jacking it up 6’ because I’m not sure if he did that the first time I just know we have changed the thermostat multiple times And so far, this is the best it’s gotten with the overheating going up hills as well as idling I have absolutely no coolant leaks he said my fans work. I’m just not sure what else to think It is rather than air in the cooling system.

I just know my mechanic said that he had a tool that was used to vacuum all the air out of the cooling system he didn’t think this would be needed because it’s usually only necessary to do on Audi and Mercedes… however I will have to suggest to him getting the air out by jacking it up 6’ because I’m not sure if he did that the first time I just know we have changed the thermostat multiple times And so far, this is the best it’s gotten with the overheating going up hills as well as idling I have absolutely no coolant leaks he said my fans work. I’m just not sure what else to think It is rather than air in the cooling system.

That's 6" not Feet.

The Cooling Fan has a high speed is it going into high speed?

Reactions: tJKrider
Yess correction (6’’)

no does not go into high speed but has come on at a very low speed when driving through town yesterday .

Yess correction (6’’)

no does not go into high speed but has come on at a very low speed when driving through town yesterday .

The fan won't go into high speed until it starts to get over the normal temp.

So do you think I’m freaking out for nothing? It goes three maybe four notches above halfway when I’m going uphill and fluctuates between halfway to two notches above when idling at a stoplight or drive-through, but doesn’t hit a quarter over.. with it doing this I’m scared to take it out of town…will driving it help take some of the air out by itself??

So do you think I’m freaking out for nothing? It goes three maybe four notches above halfway when I’m going uphill and fluctuates between halfway to two notches above when idling at a stoplight or drive-through, but doesn’t hit a quarter over.. with it doing this I’m scared to take it out of town…will driving it help take some of the air out by itself??

Most of the time you have to Burp the air out like I said, it's not difficult to do and you should be able to do it without paying someone.

My engine is a 3.8 so I don't know what the normal operating temp is for a 3.6, i'm sure once some of the other Member wake up they will tell you what the temps should be like.

Based on my understanding it sounds like it is going just over the 1/2 mark but not reaching the 3/4 mark, is that correct? If so I wouldn’t be too worried about it especially since it is only uphill. We have two 15’s JKU one seems to do the same as yours, we have a digital gauge assembly plugged into the OBDII and it will read around 230 and drop back down, that one has 110K on it. The other one the needle seems to stay at the 1/2 mark and digital gauge will show around 220-225 and then drop back down, it only has 40K on it. If the gauge is hitting the 3/4 mark I’d have it looked at some more.

Yes, that is correct. It is just going a little over half but not quite to the 3/4 mark.
I took it on a 45 minute drive last night. It seemed to do well on the highway through the mountains however, when I went to a drive-through, it started getting hot going two notches over half and then I shut the car off. Got my food. Got gas and went home. Perfectly fine on the way home.
I’m just nervous because I do want to take it out of town and with a hot weather coming I don’t want to overheat…. does this sound like there’s air in the cooling system? If so, will it come out on its own or do I have to continue finding a way for it to be burped out?

I wouldn’t think it would overheat at idle. That is not something I’ve noticed on either of ours. In order to get the air out the process @BLACKJKU described above needs to be followed. The air won’t just work its way out of the system.

Keep in mind the needle is a dummy gauge. If the Jeep has the informational panel you can scroll through the options and get to the digital temp reading, that will give you the actual coolant temperature. If I recall correctly I think that is in the same location as the tachometer. If you don’t have any controls on the left side of the steering wheel then the Jeep most likely does not have the option. I don’t recall what they officially call it.