Help needed: Jeep suddenly overheating after changing the thermostat

The only way air can get into the cooling system is from a bad head gasket or a crack in the cylinder wall.
So it's more that it keeps back flowing into the reservoir and I'm not sure why after everything. I can't even think of a reason for it to overheat at this point as no fluids are mixing either I check when it's cold and when it's hot and it doesn't mix either time.

What seals would you suggest so I can kinda get a starting point
Everything connected to the cooling system. The cap. The hoses. The hose clamps. The radiator. The heater core. The heater hoses. The heater hose clamps. The head gaskets. The block.

Everything connected to the cooling system. The cap. The hoses. The hose clamps. The radiator. The heater core. The heater hoses. The heater hose clamps. The head gaskets. The block.
the only 2 I can't really check is the block and head gaskets except for mixed fluids which I don't have

Either you're not getting all the air out, or air is getting back in from someplace. Start checking connections and seals.
I know very little compared to the experts on this forum, but burping it multiple times in the driveway didn't work for me. Try driving it for 5 or 10 minutes, cool down, and then burp it. Then repeat as necessary.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Update I replaced the fan and that started to work better, but now I have a back flow of coolant in the reservoir so I replaced the reservoir hose and the radiator cap. I also did a full drain and coolant flush/clean to get everything out and start fresh. I've burped it 4-5 times still getting air in the system every time i raise the front to burp it. The cap is an oem 18psi and I'm still overheating. I need help please
Is it still overheating or just getting air in system but still cooling? Second, do you have oil in your coolant that is being pushed into the reservoir? Third, is there coolant in your oil?

Without that being answered I’d say you are still getting air in the system and there are 2 likely candidates.
Easiest fix is the oil filter/cooler housing. You will need to change your oil and coolant again when replacing this part (get the Dorman aluminum one).
The other posibility, especially if still overheating is that you have a head gasket leaking superheated gas from the head/block into the coolant system. That one is a pain in the behind and will basically require everything I had to do in my earlier answer.

Similar issues on 2015 wrangler. Bought it two months ago, been through two thermostats. Runs about 800 miles and then starts to run hot when climbing hills. Idling is fine, it never runs hot.
Check radiator fan, see if it comes in at 225 degrees with the a/c off. If it doesn’t come on then the computer on the fan is the most likely culprit. Whole fan will need to be replaced… expensive part but easy fix (should only take 15 minutes)

Reactions: BigAL07
Is it still overheating or just getting air in system but still cooling? Second, do you have oil in your coolant that is being pushed into the reservoir? Third, is there coolant in your oil?

Without that being answered I’d say you are still getting air in the system and there are 2 likely candidates.
Easiest fix is the oil filter/cooler housing. You will need to change your oil and coolant again when replacing this part (get the Dorman aluminum one).
The other posibility, especially if still overheating is that you have a head gasket leaking superheated gas from the head/block into the coolant system. That one is a pain in the behind and will basically require everything I had to do in my earlier answer.
So I'm overheating and getting air into the system I have no fluid mixing what so ever so I'm putting a guess around the head gasket leaking gas/exhaust into the coolant. I'm more than likely gonna tear it down to replace the gasket and check the heads and block to make sure nothing is cracked which it hasn't shown it is.

Reactions: TMan68
So I'm overheating and getting air into the system I have no fluid mixing what so ever so I'm putting a guess around the head gasket leaking gas/exhaust into the coolant. I'm more than likely gonna tear it down to replace the gasket and check the heads and block to make sure nothing is cracked which it hasn't shown it is.

Get a exhaust gas/combustion test kit for the coolant to see if it is.

Unfortunately that’s what it sounds like… that’s exactly what mine was doing after several burps … just kept getting air in and overflowing the burp funnel …

Take heads to an automotive machine shop and the can pressure test then for cracks and then mill them flat for around 3-400$
Good luck with the adventure:)
While you’re that deep into it you might as well replace the timing chains too. Had 111k on mine and all the chains except oil pump were getting pretty worn already.

Unfortunately that’s what it sounds like… that’s exactly what mine was doing after several burps … just kept getting air in and overflowing the burp funnel …

Take heads to an automotive machine shop and the can pressure test then for cracks and then mill them flat for around 3-400$
Good luck with the adventure:)
While you’re that deep into it you might as well replace the timing chains too. Had 111k on mine and all the chains except oil pump were getting pretty worn already.
I'm probably gonna just gonna take it down and replace almost everything when I go and replace the head gasket and check for cracks

Hey y'all! I found this forum, specifically this thread, while googling the symptoms of my 2016 Wrangler overheating. I hope y'all don't mind me piggybacking. I was experiencing similar issues as OP and have had my thermostat changed twice (after market not Mopar - I'm told there's a nationwide back order on Mopart thermostats). After the thermostat is changed everything is fine for a few weeks then bam! We're running hot again and it progressively gets worse.

My girl is currently at the mechanic and we're all scratching our heads. There are no leaks. The radiator has been thoroughly burped. The fan comes on as it should, and he didn't see any signs of issues with head related parts. He also changed the temp sensor today. Currently it's idling at 230 degrees according to the digital gauge inside, and according to the mechanic's computer...BUT it's reading around 150 - 170 degrees when the cooling components are temped with an ir thermometer. Any words of wisdom?

My mechanic is the best in town when it comes to virtually any other car, but he's admittedly not a Jeep expert. He says he actually has two other clients with similar issues and would like to get all of us fixed up.

PS - apologies in advance if I use the wrong terms. I'm a woman and know just enough to be dangerous lol

Hey y'all! I found this forum, specifically this thread, while googling the symptoms of my 2016 Wrangler overheating. I hope y'all don't mind me piggybacking. I was experiencing similar issues as OP and have had my thermostat changed twice (after market not Mopar - I'm told there's a nationwide back order on Mopart thermostats). After the thermostat is changed everything is fine for a few weeks then bam! We're running hot again and it progressively gets worse.

My girl is currently at the mechanic and we're all scratching our heads. There are no leaks. The radiator has been thoroughly burped. The fan comes on as it should, and he didn't see any signs of issues with head related parts. He also changed the temp sensor today. Currently it's idling at 230 degrees according to the digital gauge inside, and according to the mechanic's computer...BUT it's reading around 150 - 170 degrees when the cooling components are temped with an ir thermometer. Any words of wisdom?

My mechanic is the best in town when it comes to virtually any other car, but he's admittedly not a Jeep expert. He says he actually has two other clients with similar issues and would like to get all of us fixed up.

PS - apologies in advance if I use the wrong terms. I'm a woman and know just enough to be dangerous lol
So your gonna want him to check and probably replace the engine coolant temp sensor. If your not officially overheating it's reading wrong than your gonna want to look at a temp sensor and figure out which one is the culprit.

Welcome to the forum! Did your mechanic use the correct antifreeze and not just a "universal" to top everything off? Also, my buddy just went through this issue with his. He found out that his aftermarket thermostat was stuck closed straight out of the box. There was a defect in the plastic mold that kept the thermostat from opening up. Check your coolant temp sensor like @bumjeep said too.