Help needed: Jeep suddenly overheating after changing the thermostat

2015 JK, Unlimited Rubicon. Got 0128 code(low coolant temp) and replaced thermo with "MotoRad" brand unit, claims OE supplier. Under any kind of load, pulling a grade 3-4000 rpm engine got hot, warning light came on and hand to back out of the throttle, living in the AZ, CA, NV area this was not acceptable with summer coming on, re-installed factory thermo for now and its stays at the 1/2 way mark.
Were you able to figure it out with the Mopar OEM stat? My son has a 15’ Rubicon. We’ve changed the radiator, thermostat (MotoRad from dealer since Mopar stat is on backorder), coolant temp sensor, and radiator cap. It was fine for a few days and then started overheating again. The stat has been changes three times in the past 6 weeks. This is driving me crazy.

Were you able to figure it out with the Mopar OEM stat? My son has a 15’ Rubicon. We’ve changed the radiator, thermostat (MotoRad from dealer since Mopar stat is on backorder), coolant temp sensor, and radiator cap. It was fine for a few days and then started overheating again. The stat has been changes three times in the past 6 weeks. This is driving me crazy.

Did you raise the front of the Jeep at least 6" up and remove the cap let it idle and then add coolant as needed? You could have a air pocket in the engine and sometimes they are hard to get out.

Reactions: tweeks327
The most common reason for this seems to be incompletely burping the engine. Make sure the front of the Jeep is elevated 4-6" and then burp the engine.

Did you raise the front of the Jeep at least 6" up and remove the cap let it idle and then add coolant as needed? You could have a air pocket in the engine and sometimes they are hard to get out.
Thanks for the suggestion but yes. Burped multiple times with the funnel radiator attachment kit.

The most common reason for this seems to be incompletely burping the engine. Make sure the front of the Jeep is elevated 4-6" and then burp the engine.
Thank you. We parked the jeep on an incline to fill and burp it. Checked it multiple times but I can do that again.

We replaced the radiator last Saturday and that didn't fix the problem. I decided to take one more shot with another stat and changed the coolant temp sensor and radiator cap for good measure on Wednesday. That fixed it. It ran great for a few days with no overheating until a little while ago today, Sunday.

I’m at a loss for words. 2 months ago I had the rocker arms, lifters, cam shafts, plugs and front breaks replaced at the dealer to the tune of $4600. That included new head gaskets.

They quoted me $2400 for a “leaky” radiator (that i couldn’t find) and temp sensor. We decided to do this one ourselves and have proceeded to be frustrated on the daily.

Thank you. We parked the jeep on an incline to fill and burp it. Checked it multiple times but I can do that again.

We replaced the radiator last Saturday and that didn't fix the problem. I decided to take one more shot with another stat and changed the coolant temp sensor and radiator cap for good measure on Wednesday. That fixed it. It ran great for a few days with no overheating until a little while ago today, Sunday.

I’m at a loss for words. 2 months ago I had the rocker arms, lifters, cam shafts, plugs and front breaks replaced at the dealer to the tune of $4600. That included new head gaskets.

They quoted me $2400 for a “leaky” radiator (that i couldn’t find) and temp sensor. We decided to do this one ourselves and have proceeded to be frustrated on the daily.

Is your cooling fan coming on?

I got it from the dealer expecting Mopar but it is a MotoRad, the same as I got from AutoZone. I’ve seen where some have said MotoRad is OEM but I don't really know.

All the Mopar websites I just looked at for a 2015 says 5184651AH.

Have you checked to see what the actual temperature of the coolant is reading?

Have you checked to see what the actual temperature of the coolant is reading?
We’ve checked actual temp using the dash gauge. How should I test it otherwise?

It’s strange. My son is on the way home from a friends house, maybe 3 miles away. He said the gauge was showing 222 defrees and the car hadn't been running 5 minutes. Could it be a gauge issue or perhaps some other sensor?

We’ve checked actual temp using the dash gauge. How should I test it otherwise?

It’s strange. My son is on the way home from a friends house, maybe 3 miles away. He said the gauge was showing 222 defrees and the car hadn't been running 5 minutes. Could it be a gauge issue or perhaps some other sensor?

You'll need a IR temp gun to check the engine temps.

A bad temp sensor could be the problem and it's not really overheating.
We just changed the coolant temp sensor. Is their another one that could go bad?

Jeep is home now. The radiator cap is cool but the top radiator hose is very hot to the touch. Could it be a stuck open stat??

We just changed the coolant temp sensor. Is their another one that could go bad?

Jeep is home now. The radiator cap is cool but the top radiator hose is very hot to the touch. Could it be a stuck open stat??

Sounds like a stuck T-stat, is the cooling fan running?

Yes. Cooling fan running. Wonder how 3 stats can fail like that. And I can’t find a Mopar stat so far.

And thank you for the help BLACKJKU and others.

Sometimes it's hard to make repairs over the Internet but we try.

Did you search that Part Number?