Help! Going to Moab.

GasMan50

Hi all, I’m new to this forum and some what new to Jeep life. We are going to Moab in a couple months and I need help with taking spare parts. What do I need to carry or take with me to possibly fix my 2016 Unlimited Rubicon on the trail? Thanks in advance for your help.

Full size spare
1 gallon of the correct coolant
Engine oil
1 gallon of widow washer fluid
Extra valve stems & valve stem cores
Medium thick Superglue and Zip Kicker (good for fixing flats)
A roll of gaffer's tape (Much better than duct tape or Gorilla Tape)
Ty Wraps
Couple of front axle U joints
Fuses
Air filter

Yup, definitely some electrical stuff. I picked up a tool bag from HF and put the following in it - some wiring, crimpers, test light / meter, a package of electrical connectors (from Amazon) in a nice little plastic box. Also has a variety of hose clamps in the bag as there was room left.

Jumper cables a good idea too, but I carry a little portable battery jumber just in case. I just double check it before I head out on a trip.

Reactions: GasMan50 and mrjp
Jeeps may be new to me but seen plenty of trail fixes over the years. Some of the stuff on my trips:
U-Joints
Tie-Rod ends
6" of radiator hose w/barbed fittings and hose clamps to match
Spare Serpentine Belt
Tons of electrical (Spare Wire, Connectors, Fuses, electrical tape) Seems to be most common on jeeps, IDKW.
Fluids (Oil, ATF, Brake, Steering, Gear)
Common Size nut/bolt/washers
Freeze Plugs and Teflon Tape
All types of sealants (Tape, JB Weld, RTV, Plastic Weld, Super Glue, Zip ties, Steel bands)
Ratchet Straps
Magnetic flash lights
Tools to change every one of those components, otherwise whats the point

Now stuff I carry that might be excessive?
- 2-1/2lb sledge
- Crowbar
- Saw w/Blades
-Small Butane Torch
- Bailing Wire and Paracord
- Spare Steel (sized to fit my components)
- 24v Stick Weld setup

Weighing my two tool boxes on my last trip came in at 84lbs. Is it necessary, ehh, personal preference. On that same last trip a guy in our group had his PSC ram sheer off it mount and bend his tie-rod. He didn't have the right size wrench, caps to seal the hoses or method to remove the bent components. Guess who did? After some wrenching/sawing we got him up and moving. He never had to get his too small $100 shiny tool set dirty.

Cheers

Scott

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU