HD Hinged Tire Carrier

AUBoggs

Just Empty'n Every Pocket
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking to upgrade the hinges and increase the weight capacity of the tire carrier. Leaning toward the Teraflex HD hinged tire carrier. Anyone have any experience with this upgrade?

I have the morryde HD hinges and added the rotopax fuel cell mount

944F1006-AE63-48FB-A077-A3AA10F175EE.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
How do you like the Yokohama MT's? Good or bad tire? any info is appreciated, thanks.
I like the yokohama MT tires a lot more than i thought i would. They ride very nice and are not very noisy on highway for MT’s. Tracks real good with them and i run the pressure at 28 psi cold with tpms shut off. The wear so far has been real even and nominal in the 7000 plus miles i have put on them. I would recommend them for a good tire option.

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
I like the yokohama MT tires a lot more than i thought i would. They ride very nice and are not very noisy on highway for MT’s. Tracks real good with them and i run the pressure at 28 psi cold with tpms shut off. The wear so far has been real even and nominal in the 7000 plus miles i have put on them. I would recommend them for a good tire option.
Awesome, thanks for the update. Having both tires at some point really makes it a hard decision for future purchase.

I'm wondering how Firestone's MT's are since the Willys come equipped with them. Anyone running Firestone's MT's please share your experience.

Thanks

Off to work over the tires again today for more possible wildlife sightings and adventures in the Pryor mountains in Montana. Off to see Big Ice cave with friend visiting. Saw momma black bear and two cubs yesterday, a bald eagle flew over our house right when my friend showed up. Lots of nature and jeepin here

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
Looking to upgrade the hinges and increase the weight capacity of the tire carrier. Leaning toward the Teraflex HD hinged tire carrier. Anyone have any experience with this upgrade?
I have extensive experience with this tire carrier and I can explain all of the pitfalls. Here's my post from earlier this year:

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/tire-carrier-info.28604/#post-436181

Essentially, the problem is this- the hinge side of the Teraflex come assembled and there's no way to take it apart. The hinge pins are pressed in and cannot be removed for repair or lubrication. So, if you attempt to remove the entire carrier, after removing the tire, you must unbolt both the hinge side and the tailgate side and have someone hold the tailgate lest it just fall to the ground.

Reactions: AUBoggs
I have extensive experience with this tire carrier and I can explain all of the pitfalls. Here's my post from earlier this year:

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/tire-carrier-info.28604/#post-436181

Essentially, the problem is this- the hinge side of the Teraflex come assembled and there's no way to take it apart. The hinge pins are pressed in and cannot be removed for repair or lubrication. So, if you attempt to remove the entire carrier, after removing the tire, you must unbolt both the hinge side and the tailgate side and have someone hold the tailgate lest it just fall to the ground.
Sounding more and more like a new bumper with tire mount may be the best option.

Reactions: Lxxtsy