Tire Carrier Info

IslandGirl

Hey, Need your help...looking to buy a tire carrier for my wrangler. I have 35 tire with rim and the more I read the more confused I am getting on a decision. Looking at the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD or the Smittybilt 2843 Pivot HD oversize tire carrier. Would anyone have any suggestions as to which way to go. The more reviews I read the harder it is to decide so I am hoping that you all can help. Many thanks!!!

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/teraflex-hinged-carrier.27627/#post-429024

A few more options for you.

Reactions: mrjp
Hey, Need your help...looking to buy a tire carrier for my wrangler. I have 35 tire with rim and the more I read the more confused I am getting on a decision. Looking at the Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD or the Smittybilt 2843 Pivot HD oversize tire carrier. Would anyone have any suggestions as to which way to go. The more reviews I read the harder it is to decide so I am hoping that you all can help. Many thanks!!!
I have the Teraflex, which is very similar in design and construction as the Rugged Ridge, some of the Smittybilt and, if it were not for the fact it was on my JKU when I bought it, I would have purchased another brand. I also run 35x12.5s and I've changed the bolts that hold the tire mount as the road vibrations require me tightening them every few months.
Second, my wife let the tailgate get away from her one time, which then bound the hinges a little. With a 110 lb tire and wheel, trying to close the tailgate was like pushing about 60 lbs. So, when my neighbor and I took it apart to lube the hinge pins and realign the tailgate, we found the hinge pins were pressed and cannot be removed. We were able to move one pin about 1/8" and get some penetrating oil into it, which has solved the problem, but c'mon.

1616690462686.png

Third, I would prefer a carrier that didn't put the majority of the weight on the tailgate. Much rather the bumper.

My suggestion would be to find a model that has grease fittings or the hinge is an actual bolt that can be removed for lubrication and/or maintenance/repair.

You could also look at a pair of heavy duty tailgate hinges, such as the MORryde, which has lubrication fittings, and purchase a separate tailgate tire carrier.

1616691541118.png

Just my 2 centavos...

Last edited: