Front differential problems

PaulSack

I have a 4in lift 16 Wrangler JKU on 35s. I recently blew out the cv joint on my front drive shaft and wore out my tie rod ends & drag link. (MY FRONT DRIVE SHAFT IS STILL UNINSTALLED) I have also been hearing a clanking noise that goes faster as my tires RPM increases. I looked into it and most people said it was due to a U joint. When I jacked up the front, I spun the left tire and nothing happened. when I spun the right one backwards, it would sometimes catch the left to spin and sometimes the left wouldn’t spin at all. Keep in mind I have an open diff. Sometimes when spinning the right backwards, the same noise would occur in the diff and the left tire would make a minor movement. Any information is greatly appreciated!

When it's jacked up back off the brake pads and then wiggle the wheel back and forth and see if the wheel hub bearing is bad. Also have someone hold the pinion yoke and while rolling the right wheel back and forward, have them watch the U joint on the axle.

Also you might pull the front diff cover off and inspect the gears and for excess play in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hooperdog
Found the issue, thanks! Now to regear
87314A46-2710-4EA4-B80C-1A4816C9E3C3.jpeg
711280D5-23DD-461B-A389-91B1E7BCF39D.jpeg

• Face Palm
  • Wow
Reactions: Eulalio and mrjp
I have a 4in lift 16 Wrangler JKU on 35s. I recently blew out the cv joint on my front drive shaft and wore out my tie rod ends & drag link. (MY FRONT DRIVE SHAFT IS STILL UNINSTALLED) I have also been hearing a clanking noise that goes faster as my tires RPM increases. I looked into it and most people said it was due to a U joint. When I jacked up the front, I spun the left tire and nothing happened. when I spun the right one backwards, it would sometimes catch the left to spin and sometimes the left wouldn’t spin at all. Keep in mind I have an open diff. Sometimes when spinning the right backwards, the same noise would occur in the diff and the left tire would make a minor movement. Any information is greatly appreciated!
Sounds like you'd better pull the cover off and see how many teeth are missing on the spider gear part.