Front diff noise, what could it be? (video)

UnfamiliarJeep

I'm trying to diagnose this issue we're having with my wife's 2016 JK Sport 4D (99k miles). It starts as a rumble / gear on gear noise at parking lot speeds. (can be heard in the video) Then approaching highway speeds it's a constant low pitch whine, which is unaffected by accel/decel. It's always present and is connected to vehicle speed. It gets louder until around 65mph and then disappears up to 75mph which is as high as I'll take it. You can feel the noise through the chassis, in the pedals, floor, etc.

The dealership thought it was a wheel bearing and replaced that and the axle on the front left. The tires have also been replaced (they needed to be regardless) so that was ruled out also. It's absolutely coming from the diff so I'm wondering if this is preload? Why? Is the R&P able to be saved? Can anyone recommend a shop near Jacksonville, FL?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Video:
https://streamable.com/zkivla

Reactions: YetiCon
Get a laser thermometer from HF and check the temperatures... bottom of the diff cover... bottom of the diff...sides around the pinion. Nothing should be over 200 and realistically not in 4 wheel it should be close or under 100.

Probably want to pull the cover and inspect things.

-Mac

Get a laser thermometer from HF and check the temperatures... bottom of the diff cover... bottom of the diff...sides around the pinion. Nothing should be over 200 and realistically not in 4 wheel it should be close or under 100.

Probably want to pull the cover and inspect things.

-Mac

Good idea. I actually have a FLIR so that just might work actually. Thanks for the tip.

Also I did pull the cover, video is in my original post.

Good idea. I actually have a FLIR so that just might work actually. Thanks for the tip.

Also I did pull the cover, video is in my original post.
I lost a brand new gear setup...6 months in the pinion grenaded. Best theory was the pinion was too tight, got hot and blam.

Happens. Wish I had a FLIR. Wish someone made a led screen monitor watching 4 or 6 magnetic wireless temp probes I could stick on the pumpkins.

-Mac

I'm trying to diagnose this issue we're having with my wife's 2016 JK Sport 4D (99k miles). It starts as a rumble / gear on gear noise at parking lot speeds. (can be heard in the video) Then approaching highway speeds it's a constant low pitch whine, which is unaffected by accel/decel. It's always present and is connected to vehicle speed. It gets louder until around 65mph and then disappears up to 75mph which is as high as I'll take it. You can feel the noise through the chassis, in the pedals, floor, etc.

The dealership thought it was a wheel bearing and replaced that and the axle on the front left. The tires have also been replaced (they needed to be regardless) so that was ruled out also. It's absolutely coming from the diff so I'm wondering if this is preload? Why? Is the R&P able to be saved? Can anyone recommend a shop near Jacksonville, FL?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Video:
https://streamable.com/zkivla
My '15 has a front end grating, rotating, clunking noise in low range only. Interested in following

I don't know a lot about gear install process etc.
I wouldn't attempt install myself TBH.
But I do know backlash is critical in gear setups.
Wondering if somewhere along the way something
loosened up causing backlash to be out of spec.
Now the actual gears are grinding . As there should
never be any noise from the diff.while driving.

Is seems as if your teeth are meshing improperly when they rotate. I would take it to a off-road shop that actually does gears. Might not be shimmed right or too loose or too tight.