Fastback Hardtop—DV8 vs Rally Tops for 07 JKU

CrazyTuff

Morning Folks,

(pic for attention)

Did a few searches to see if it was covered and if there was any relevant answers that might work, but came up short or empty.

The Wife and I are shopping for a Fastback hardtop and the two we are looking at are as you guessed it, the rally top and the DV8 Ranger top.

Any Reviews?

I am coming from a soft top, so I know noise.... lol (Past to current tops include: Factory soft top, 3 Fastback Soft tops from various brands and the Trektop Pro Hybrid)

I get that water leaks might be an issue at the front door... yeah, it's a jeep...
I get that there may be noise, but I bet it is a hell of a lot quieter than my soft top flapping in the wind at 80mph...lol

What I am after: are you happy with your choice, how's yours holding up, was it defective out the box, did it have all of the components, hows the quality on this thing, would you buy it again if you had to... and obviously which brand did you choose?

20150715_183305.jpg

Removing the factory soft top was the best thing we could have done, because we replaced it with the Rampage Trailview half top. Although you're referring to a hard top I wouldn't rule out a well designed softop by Rampage. However, after this past weeks adventure, the drivers side is leaking where is hadn't before. I suspect that while on our travels, having the sunrider open, I've not sealed/closed the sunrider as tight as I should have. Matter of fact while on the highway, we stops at several love stations only to have truckers who have jeeps come over and inspected the rear window in the trail view. had a few take pics of this. The main reason they took pics was because they we're using the windjammer from the 2 door wrangler on their 4 door which is a tight fit and can be done. Seeing the trailview with the little side windows made them rethink about purchasing the trailview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Removing the factory soft top was the best thing we could have done, because we replaced it with the Rampage Trailview half top. Although you're referring to a hard top I wouldn't rule out a well designed softop by Rampage. However, after this past weeks adventure, the drivers side is leaking where is hadn't before. I suspect that while on our travels, having the sunrider open, I've not sealed/closed the sunrider as tight as I should have. Matter of fact while on the highway, we stops at several love stations only to have truckers who have jeeps come over and inspected the rear window in the trail view. had a few take pics of this. The main reason they took pics was because they we're using the windjammer from the 2 door wrangler on their 4 door which is a tight fit and can be done. Seeing the trailview with the little side windows made them rethink about purchasing the trailview.

How does the Rampage do in terms of wind noise at 80mph... say - compared to a hard top? Might be a good alternative to a fastback hard top for storage purposes? I love the look of those fastback hardtops, but my friend that has one that is neither the DV8 OR Rally (American Fastbacks I think) says his is loud on trips. Just finished a 600 mi trip this week with my soft top (for the first time) and that thing is loud on the freeway, especially at 80mph.

Point taken with the wind issue, as the hard tops would have a significant lower wind noise as compared to the soft tops. Plus the hard top have foam panels that fit into parts of the top to make even more sound dampening. None the less good luck with which even top you select.

Point taken with the wind issue, as the hard tops would have a significant lower wind noise as compared to the soft tops. Plus the hard top have foam panels that fit into parts of the top to make even more sound dampening. None the less good luck with which even top you select.

The soft tops have the luxury of ease for removal and storage. How's the Rampage Trailview with freeway noise?

Again the noise level will be the same with any soft top. I did however contact Lund (makers of the Rampage products) and ask them the create the trailview in the twill fabric which would lessen the noise. I've yet to hear back on this.

I'm also looking at the Trektop hybrid, can anybody say how it compares to a full hardtop? A solid glass back and stiff side windows seem like they'd be quieter than my current soft top but I'm not ready to give up on the ease of take-down yet.

@CrazyTuff, did you end up going with the DV8? I see there no replies to your question specifically to the DV8 hard top. I'm interested in replacing my damaged factory hard top on my 2014 JK and seen mostly good but a few bad reviews about the DV8 on Quadratec site.

Public service announcement, the on line retailer Quadratec has a flash sale going on now with $600 off a DV8 Ranger hard top

Reactions: mrjp
Really like the look of the hard top fast back . Was planning a few things waaay in advance before I got my Jeep . Was watching a couple YT videos on the hard top fast back and both leaked like nobodies business . Through the back window mainly . I think one was the DV 8 that I saw a review on . Sorry can’t be sure as it’s been awhile .
Would def practice due diligence and check out YT or and other reviews . Found a detailed online review .

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/dv8-slant-back-hardtop-review.1661033/

Checked YT and can’t find it now . It’s been a couple years so maybe been taken down . Def remember issues with back window leaking . As the poster opened back window and back of Jeep was soaking wet inside .
Anyways hope this info helps .

Last edited:
O
@CrazyTuff, did you end up going with the DV8? I see there no replies to your question specifically to the DV8 hard top. I'm interested in replacing my damaged factory hard top on my 2014 JK and seen mostly good but a few bad reviews about the DV8 on Quadratec site.
Ok I see now. You revived a thread that's two year old.
Anyways OP was obviously one & done so in the wind .
Maybe info i posted up above will b helpful to yourself.