Exhaust Manifold debate

MajorDebt

I am new here and have been searching through the threads trying to find an answer to my question and it seems to be a topic of debate among Jeep enthusiast. I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X with the 6 speed manual transmission. It has a brand new (remanufactured) Jasper engine and we saw that the manifolds were cracked on both sides. I know it is a box that is as aerodynamic as the broad side of a barn but I do need to replace them so I have been looking and after reading through the different reasons to get this or that I find I am just as confused as when I started. I am not looking for huge HP gains or any of that. I do have a new Magnaflow Off Road Pro Series cat back exhaust and just would like to make sure that whatever I put on will be a quality product. Every post that I have read are people arguing over whether this brand or that brand will leak and most are people looking for some kind of HP increase. I'd love any improvement in fuel economy but I am not holding y breath. I have read some people even lost HP adding certain brands of headers. This is my daily and I do wheel on the weekends when I can but what would be a good quality replacement for my manifold/headers? I am sorry for asking again but all the threads I found were just people arguing over what worked for them vs. what other people tried. I am just looking for something I can hopefully get another 250?k out of. I am an older disabled vet who just started getting into Wranglers (I still own a Cherokee and am a little more in the know with it) but the one thing I have really come to love is how it doesn't matter which one you drive, the Jeep community always comes together to help fellow Jeepers. Thank you everyone in advance and I wish everyone a great night!

I had a similar issue when I bought my JK someone had put cheap shorty headers on that were rusted out with a cheaply done dual exhaust. I bought these headers and can't say if I gained or lost power, or gained or lost MPg's. I do know they sound good and should last along time and won't rust away or crack. I have a 2008 JKU also with the manual trans.

I did have to get downstream o2 foolers to keep the CEL off because they have high flow cats, been on for 1.5 years.

Reactions: MajorDebt and mrjp
I had a similar issue when I bought my JK someone had put cheap shorty headers on that were rusted out with a cheaply done dual exhaust. I bought these headers and can't say if I gained or lost power, or gained or lost MPg's. I do know they sound good and should last along time and won't rust away or crack. I have a 2008 JKU also with the manual trans.

I did have to get downstream o2 foolers to keep the CEL off because they have high flow cats, been on for 1.5 years.

I was looking at those along with the Ripp because the MagnaFlow cat is like $1400 by itself (I wanted to keep the whole exhaust the same but then I saw the BBKs. Did you have issues with burning plug wires and did you wrap your headers? I had already purchased boot protectors but read where some headers were still burning them. Just took it for a test drive and I now need a drag link as well. Mine is definitely living up to his name Major Debt!

I was looking at those along with the Ripp because the MagnaFlow cat is like $1400 by itself (I wanted to keep the whole exhaust the same but then I saw the BBKs. Did you have issues with burning plug wires and did you wrap your headers? I had already purchased boot protectors but read where some headers were still burning them. Just took it for a test drive and I now need a drag link as well. Mine is definitely living up to his name Major Debt!

I put boot protectors on my wires and haven't burn't one yet.

Reactions: MajorDebt and mrjp
I kept hearing about the #4 wire getting toasted and people getting new 45⁰ and 90⁰ plugs and this and that and I don't want to damage anything obviously. Ok so boot protectors and no wrap on BBK long tubes. Sounds like a plan! Thank you for your input. Every time I would look there would be like 3-4 guys arguing over the info and I'm just like guys I just want to know what works and I'm sure there is more than one way to do it but the one thing I did notice was that everyone who complained was using some sort of shorty setup with Flowtech, Rugged Ridge, etc. and it was always a leak issue but they never say what they did or what gasket they used or any critical information I my opinion for the job. I am having it done professionally but am supplying all the parts so I am trying to get good quality on everything I out on my JKU. I'd like to be able to sell it and say there are no problems and actually mean there are no problems but I know that's asking a lot from a Jeep lol

I kept hearing about the #4 wire getting toasted and people getting new 45⁰ and 90⁰ plugs and this and that and I don't want to damage anything obviously. Ok so boot protectors and no wrap on BBK long tubes. Sounds like a plan! Thank you for your input. Every time I would look there would be like 3-4 guys arguing over the info and I'm just like guys I just want to know what works and I'm sure there is more than one way to do it but the one thing I did notice was that everyone who complained was using some sort of shorty setup with Flowtech, Rugged Ridge, etc. and it was always a leak issue but they never say what they did or what gasket they used or any critical information I my opinion for the job. I am having it done professionally but am supplying all the parts so I am trying to get good quality on everything I out on my JKU. I'd like to be able to sell it and say there are no problems and actually mean there are no problems but I know that's asking a lot from a Jeep lol

The ceramic coating is to keep the headers cooler, plus no rust either. My JK had shorty headers and they had a big hole rusted on the top side of where the tubes were welded together going into the collector.

I don't know who these other guys are but most of them probably still have the stock exhaust system on.

Hey thanks man I appreciate the heads up! (no pun intended lol) I have this thing n my browser that is through Capital One that automatically searches for coupon codes all over and I found a site that had them for about 1000 with free shipping but they were out of stock. Said they would be back in soon though so fingers crossed! Just ordered my drag link but I should be back on the road within about a week as long as they get those BBKs in as fast as they said they would. Thank you so much for your help though. It was nice tp get straight answers without 5 other people arguing right behind you. I am really enjoying this forum and wish I found it sooner. I'll be mentioning it at our next Nomad event but I wanted to make sure everything was good on Major Debt because we want to bring it to Jeep Week in OCMD this year. It is between that or the event in Tenn. I've never been to the one there and of course they are at the same time and they both look like fun. You going to either one?

Hey thanks man I appreciate the heads up! (no pun intended lol) I have this thing n my browser that is through Capital One that automatically searches for coupon codes all over and I found a site that had them for about 1000 with free shipping but they were out of stock. Said they would be back in soon though so fingers crossed! Just ordered my drag link but I should be back on the road within about a week as long as they get those BBKs in as fast as they said they would. Thank you so much for your help though. It was nice tp get straight answers without 5 other people arguing right behind you. I am really enjoying this forum and wish I found it sooner. I'll be mentioning it at our next Nomad event but I wanted to make sure everything was good on Major Debt because we want to bring it to Jeep Week in OCMD this year. It is between that or the event in Tenn. I've never been to the one there and of course they are at the same time and they both look like fun. You going to either one?

I thought everyone knew by now that there is only one Jeep Forum, best on the Web. We don't allow bashing here like on some of the others.

I would like to but probably not.