Error codes and hot oil flashing on 2017 JK

JeepinMatt

I purchased my 2017 Jk February 5. I am already having issues. About a week ago, i was driving about 40-45mph and the traction control light came on and the Jeep went into what i am guessing is limp mode. It wouldn't accelerate over 20mph. I pulled over, stopped and restarted the engine a few times and the problem went away. It hasn't done it since.

The past few days, when starting the vehicle, It doesn't do anything except light up the dash and flash HOTOIL where the odometer is. This happens quite often and it also does it first thing in the morning when the vehicle has been off over night. Sometimes it takes 5-6 attempts to get the Jeep started, sometimes it starts first attempt. Once it is started, it drives fine. It has NOT flashed HOTOIL while driving. I know that it is a transmission thing, not a motor oil thing. Took it to my local mechanic for a scan.

Codes U0100 Lost communication with ECU/PCM
U110B Lost Engine coolant
U0164 Lost communication with HVAC control module.

The Jeep was purchased at CARMAX. I have also purchased the extended warranty plan. CARMAX says I can return the vehicle within 30 days if the condition if the vehicle is the same and i do not exceed 1500 miles. So do I chase down the electrical problems and hope they are resolved in 30 days or return it? I am leaning toward returning it and buying another but if there is a simple solution, I will try it.

This is my second Jeep from CARMAX. The first one has been flawless. Both ex-rentals.

Reactions: Michael Shatto
Did you check the Carfax on it carmax does sell a lot of problem vehicles. With it being a rental the history is hard to tell.

I did check the Carfax. I everything was clean.
I purchased a rental before, a 2006 Tj, years ago and it has been the perfect Jeep. I knew buying a rental that there was the potential for issues but it was one of the cleanest JK’s I saw when I was looking.

Reactions: mrjp
This may sound crazy, but have you checked the battery? A few years ago our Suburban was giving us randdom codes / error messages on the notification system. We had an extended warranty and they ended up finding out that the battery was bad. Replaced it and didn’t have any more issues. Otherwise I would be tempted to return it as electrical problems can be a bear to track down.

I ended up returning the Jeep and purchased another. The battery was brand new so I never had it tested. I should update my pic. The new to me Jeep is silver.
Probably a good choice. Will be interesting to see what they do with the Jeep, fix it to just toss it back on the lot 🤔

Damn, well at least they let you return it. The JKs are way more finicky than the TJs due to all the electronics.

I bought it at CarMax and they have a 30 day return policy. It was a simple process to sell it back to them and purchase another. I thought they would want to try and repair the electrical issues but they didn't. I told them why I returned it so hopefully they look into it before trying resell it.

I purchased my 2017 Jk February 5. I am already having issues. About a week ago, i was driving about 40-45mph and the traction control light came on and the Jeep went into what i am guessing is limp mode. It wouldn't accelerate over 20mph. I pulled over, stopped and restarted the engine a few times and the problem went away. It hasn't done it since.

The past few days, when starting the vehicle, It doesn't do anything except light up the dash and flash HOTOIL where the odometer is. This happens quite often and it also does it first thing in the morning when the vehicle has been off over night. Sometimes it takes 5-6 attempts to get the Jeep started, sometimes it starts first attempt. Once it is started, it drives fine. It has NOT flashed HOTOIL while driving. I know that it is a transmission thing, not a motor oil thing. Took it to my local mechanic for a scan.

Codes U0100 Lost communication with ECU/PCM
U110B Lost Engine coolant
U0164 Lost communication with HVAC control module.

The Jeep was purchased at CARMAX. I have also purchased the extended warranty plan. CARMAX says I can return the vehicle within 30 days if the condition if the vehicle is the same and i do not exceed 1500 miles. So do I chase down the electrical problems and hope they are resolved in 30 days or return it? I am leaning toward returning it and buying another but if there is a simple solution, I will try it.

This is my second Jeep from CARMAX. The first one has been flawless. Both ex-rentals.
1. Got a warranty .... use it.
2. Got problems .... Do Not throw parts at it. Pay for a proper diagnosis and know what the problem actually is.