Electrical Question

IndominusHuman

JK Enthusiast
Okay, please look past my ignorance, but electrical is not my forte and to be honest it scares me a bit.

I am looking to hardwire my gmrs into the jeep and thought a "add a fuse" would probably be the easiest way to do this and place it on a ACC fuse block (I want the radio to turn on when the jeep turns on and then off when the jeep turns off).

I think I know what to do, but just to make sure... I would connect the red power wire to the add a fuse and then the black ground wire to any ground in the jeep? I just want to make sure I don't fry anything. There is also a inline fuse in the wiring from the gmrs company so I imagine that could be cut off since we will be wiring into another fuse or should I keep it?

Again, sorry for the ignorance.

Have you checked the fuse box to see if there are any cavity's that don't have a fuse but there is a location to put a connector? If you have a test light just check it with key off and then start Jeep and see if the test light stays lit up.

Or you could tap into one of the accessory ports wires on the back side of them.

You could also tap into 1 of the wires behind the radio or your cigarette lighter. I guess they're called 12v accessory now. I tapped into my 12v acc to get power for my cb radio. Then tapped into wire harness behind my radio for power to my dash cam.

You could also tap into 1 of the wires behind the radio or your cigarette lighter. I guess they're called 12v accessory now. I tapped into my 12v acc to get power for my cb radio. Then tapped into wire harness behind my radio for power to my dash cam.
After thinking more through it I think this is what I am going to do. I still need to ground though, right?

I am not sure the GMSR unit will turn on when turning on the ACC. Perhaps that is by unit style, I have the Midland MXT275, I have to physically turn it on when I start the Jeep. I didn’t want to mess with the fuss box etc. so I purchased a unit that when the voltage drops below a certain voltage the unit will turn off. So far it has worked great. So the power goes to the “box” then from there to the battery. The ground goes directly to the battery. The unit does have an option to adjust how long the power will remain on after it senses the voltage drop. Here is the unit, https://powerwerx.com/automotive-dc-timer-lvd-battery-guard

I am not sure the GMSR unit will turn on when turning on the ACC. Perhaps that is by unit style, I have the Midland MXT275, I have to physically turn it on when I start the Jeep. I didn’t want to mess with the fuss box etc. so I purchased a unit that when the voltage drops below a certain voltage the unit will turn off. So far it has worked great. So the power goes to the “box” then from there to the battery. The ground goes directly to the battery. The unit does have an option to adjust how long the power will remain on after it senses the voltage drop. Here is the unit, https://powerwerx.com/automotive-dc-timer-lvd-battery-guard
Did you run it into a 20 amp inline breaker or just trust the built in protection?

Did you run it into a 20 amp inline breaker or just trust the built in protection?
The power line has a built in fuse in the line so I just used that as the protection. I’d have to check but I think the powerwerx unit also has a built in device to cut power in case of a spike or short. So far all has been good.