Easy 2” Lift With Shocks

Ratbikerod

Supporting Member
Hey, guys, just purchased a 2015 JKU and I am looking for advice.

Short background. I have had Wranglers and Cherokee’s over the years. Actually did some writing for an online Off Road publication many years back. I am pretty mechanical. Do most work myself, but I am gettin older and slowing down a bit.

On this new to me JKU I want an easy lift that retains the ride, with some improvements from fresh shocks and probably improved sway control (it wallows a bit right now). I am thinking about a spring spacer job, shocks and maybe some sway control. I called 4WP and got sticker shock of $1600-2000, but that would be turn key. However, if memory serves lifting the JK is not a major undertaking.

What advice on reasonable, but quality, parts and doing this myself (with maybe my grown son or son-in-law helping)?

Thanks again. I am giving up my motorcycles to get into Jeeping. I am also an avid mountain biker which fits in well.

Thought’s?

Welcome @Ratbikerod !

I just did something similar a couple days ago. I started from a stock Sahara 2dr and went to JKU Rubicon springs/shocks with a spacer in front. Here is my post. Let me know if you have any questions...

Reactions: Ratbikerod
Skip the spacers, all they do is wear stuff out faster. Do the full spring/shock kit at 2.5" and call it good. You'll definitely appreciate the ride improvement.

<- x-long time rider too. Idjit drivers nowadays scared me off the touring stuff. Too beat up to do dirt riding. :LOL:

Reactions: Ratbikerod
Skip the spacers, all they do is wear stuff out faster.
I understand your sentiment but I think it depends a lot on the particular product and use case. If the OP provides more details about his starting point (model, mods, etc) it would help.

That being said, I received a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift with the parts I purchased and that went right on Marketplace. It has brackets for the shocks, brake lines, etc but when I'm ready to go that route I'll just pop for the AEV kit w/ matched springs and Bilsteins.

Sorry for the lack of detail. It is a relatively bone stock 2015 Rubicon. My current plan is to put a 2-2.5 lift on it and run a different wheel with a taller, not necessarily wider off road tire on it. I will not be using it for crawling, just moderate off reading and camping. Adding a pic for reference.

IMG_8276.jpeg

Reactions: tJKrider
Sorry for the lack of detail. It is a relatively bone stock 2015 Rubicon. My current plan is to put a 2-2.5 lift on it and run a different wheel with a taller, not necessarily wider off road tire on it. I will not be using it for crawling, just moderate off reading and camping. Adding a pic for reference.

View attachment 127353
That helps! Since your already starting from a Rubicon it changes the reference point a bit. How many miles??

For reference the tires in my pic (from the link above) are 255/75R17s on the OEM wheels...

It has just over 75,000 miles on it, but was in pristine condition. The shocks are factory, so they are fairly worn out and not great to begin with. It also wallow a bit on the road, so I think a steering stabilizer of some sort will be needed as well. I really just want it to be up a little bit more and upgrade the tired suspension. I am not adverse to adding springs to the mix if needed, but I just do not want to go to a really stiff harsh ride.

I got this as a third vehicle and tinker toy. My son is just back from 8 years in the Navy and he and his wife have only one car. Theirs is down and I have been riding my motorcycle, but in my line of work that is not all that great on a daily basis. My daughter, husband and grandson (3) are just back from 6 years on the mission field in Africa. So this is both my tinker toy and will be a loaner for both of them, if I am not loaning my truck. So I need to keep my mods within reason as it could be anyone in my family driving it.

2.5" is your lift limit without having to change out your drive shafts and replace the control arms with adjustables. Anything more than 2.5" just changes the geometry of the drive train too much, the control arms no longer reach, etc.

Put on this Teraflex lift kit, get yourself a new set of shocks after the lift kit is on to see how much shock travel you'll need, put a new drag link in and check your tie rods. The steering stabilizer won't solve your wallowing problem, only mask the real issue.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-25-lift-kit-jk-1351000.html

I just installed the AEV 2.5" lift about two months ago, and could not be happier with it. The kit was around $1100 with free shipping from NorthRidge 4x4. By the time you buy the spacers, new shocks etc, you are about halfway there to the full kit. The Jeep rides and handles better than it did with the factory suspension.

IMG_1323.jpg

I just installed the AEV 2.5" lift about two months ago, and could not be happier with it. The kit was around $1100 with free shipping from NorthRidge 4x4. By the time you buy the spacers, new shocks etc, you are about halfway there to the full kit. The Jeep rides and handles better than it did with the factory suspension.

View attachment 127356
This is exactly what I want stance wise. What tire size are you running?

View attachment 127356
When you consider the Bilstein 5100 shocks are ~$400 the price is pretty reasonable imo. Unless you have a preference for another brand I like the completeness and matching of this kit.

Reactions: Rich1961
No problem, let me know if you have any other questions.
I apologize if I asked this in another thread before... Did you happen to take any before/after measurements when you installed the lift? I'm curious what baseline AEV uses for the 2.5" nominal gain, and, more to the point, since I am starting from Rubicon springs now will I gain another 2.5" on top of what those provided?

Thx!

I apologize if I asked this in another thread before... Did you happen to take any before/after measurements when you installed the lift? I'm curious what baseline AEV uses for the 2.5" nominal gain, and, more to the point, since I am starting from Rubicon springs now will I gain another 2.5" on top of what those provided?

Thx!
Initially when I measured right after installing the lift, it was pretty close to 3" in height gain. But it has settled slightly, and I haven't measured it since then. I'll try to get a measurement tomorrow.

I second the 2.5” AEV lift. It is complete and a great ride. We have it on two JKU and one JK. She has 33” on it. I have a Rubicon, it still has 32” on it. Mine has a before and after picture. We netted around 2.75”-3”
IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_4514.jpeg

I really appreciate everyone’s input. The pic’s have been very helpful. I am still on the fence about what I am going to do. I think I am going to begin with a bit wider wheel (9.5) to begin with and then up the tire size to either 275 or 285/70r17 and see how I like it at stock height. If it is good then go with new shocks and a steering stabilizer. Again, my use will be moderate off-roading, camping/mountain biking.

This is the wheel I am planning to get.

IMG_1625.jpeg

I used to work for JKS Manufacturing. I bought a lift long before I went to work for them. I just couldn't make the 1.5hr drive any longer. Great company however! If I could work 100% from home I would go back in a second!
I wanna say though, whatever lift you decide to go with, no matter if they are running a sale, do not go thru a 3rd party. Go straight to the manufacturer to purchase. Not only will you get great customer service, you will always be on file should any wearable parts that are under warranty need replacing, and you will know exactly when your kit is going to ship because they can tell you if it is in stock or not. You will get your own personal sales guy/gal. A real human. With a phone number. You get none of this thru 3rd party sellers and they have to call you back, if they call you back, to get you any answers to question's you may have. Most of the time they are not knowledgeable in the brand you are purchasing.
Now I will shamelessly plug jks 2.5" lift for you, lol. Make sure you call JKS directly so you get an inventory check and you have everything you need in the kit. Peep the important notes also. Bonus, based out of and everything is infact made right here in MI! I have been to all seven factories in Coldwater ☺️ They do not have a storefront however.
And lastly, a little shocks talk. I run the Fox Remote Reservoirs on my 3.5" lift. I have had them 7yrs going strong. It was my daily for years. These shocks, well the whole damn kit, has a phenomenal ride quality. I have driven from MI to Windrock TN, wheeled it, and drove it back almost every year with no issues.(Our last maiden voyage will be in August and then it will be time for an LS swap and a 4.5" BDS long arm kit, same company btw).
The 2.5 Fox Shocks are the next level up. I have heard nothing but great things. With the upgrade, in shocks your price goes up, but beyond worth the investment for the ride quality you are going to get. And they will blow the bilstein 5100 away. I promise. Otherwise for a little over $1100 you can stay with the entry level shocks to get you by for a few years until you want to upgrade shocks later.
If you decide to go all in and get the 3.5" (because everyone wishes they would have went bigger) use marine grease in the control arm bushings. I have never had to replace my bushings, which is what everyone whines about lol. Marine grease them, every year. Happy Jeeping!!
https://jksmfg.com/collections/wran...cts/2-5-lift-kit-j-venture-wrangler-jk-4-door

Last edited: