Driver Side Rear Wheel Locked Up

skylex

Hello!

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2-Door with 38000miles. I bought it recently knowing that it needs some work. Initially I thought because it was sitting for a month or so the driver side rear wheel locked up. But finally i raised up the rear axle today and started the engine and put it to drive (2H). Only the passenger wheel is spinning freely, the other wheel locked up. I can tell that it was not bind up by the brake. When i gave it some gas, the traction light come on as if i was losing traction. Then i turned off the traction control, it made no difference. The traction control warning light still came on. I did not hear any grinding noise from the diff. It seems like something is preventing the left wheel from turning. I can see that it wanted to move but only able to move very slight amount (like 1/8") i guess that is all the play it has.

Help!
skylex

Good news! This side of the wheel is finally turning again.

The rotor stuck really good to the axle. With some patience i was able to pull it out. It is rusted beyond recognition and there were couple clips and nail like objects collected at the bottom of the rotor drum. I was not able to adjust the star nut on the inside of the rotor to loosen up the e-brake to ease the pulling out of the rotor. But with some brute force, it finally came out.

It looks like it needs a new set of hardware. Thank you all for your input.

Thanks,
Skylex

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy
Something like this happened when I got my latest jeep. Many people that drive cars are not used to changing rear brakes and just don't do it on wranglers. I have to replace the rotors and calipers because they were just balls of rust.

• Sad
Reactions: mrjp
I think i figured out the root cause for the seizing. The two pins that are holding the butterfly clips popped out of the back plate of e-brake assembly (due to wear, rust etc) and ended up inside the drum of the rotor and this caused the brake shoes to "wonder" and ceased the rotor completely.

• Wow
Thanks for the update! Somewhat an easy answer but I wasn’t able to come up with what could be causing it to stick. Thanks everyone, great forum here.