Dome light lens removal problem

Acxman

JK Enthusiast
So, I hope I can explain this clearly. 2008 wrangler jk Sahara 2 door.
The Jeep originally was a soft top from the factory.
Previous owner had a hard top installed. Supposedly from another 2008 wrangler.
The dome light sits on a overhead cross member, that I don’t think is part of the hard top?
My 2008 manual says that the dome light is push on and push off ? It is not !
It does come on and off with opening and closing the doors and from the steering wheel stalk control.
I want to replace the bulb but can seem to get the lens off ?
Videos I have watched all show how to get it off of a push on/ push off type dome lens.
I have attempted to pry it off but I feel it’s at the breaking point and still not coming off.
is there a certain side/front/ or back I should be prying ?

Hope all that made sense.
Thanks
Tom

Reactions: TROY66/68
Contacts could be compromised, your circa 08 could be age sticky, I will go out to my 2010 and and compute.

There is flex, but it is getting dark. And the negative post connect has to be removed for further diagnostics.

So, I hope I can explain this clearly. 2008 wrangler jk Sahara 2 door.
The Jeep originally was a soft top from the factory.
Previous owner had a hard top installed. Supposedly from another 2008 wrangler.
The dome light sits on a overhead cross member, that I don’t think is part of the hard top?
My 2008 manual says that the dome light is push on and push off ? It is not !
It does come on and off with opening and closing the doors and from the steering wheel stalk control.
I want to replace the bulb but can seem to get the lens off ?
Videos I have watched all show how to get it off of a push on/ push off type dome lens.
I have attempted to pry it off but I feel it’s at the breaking point and still not coming off.
is there a certain side/front/ or back I should be prying ?

Hope all that made sense.
Thanks
Tom
I replaced mine with led's a few months ago. You want to be sure to be pulling on just the clear lense . Not the surround like i almost did. If I recall on the ends of lens is where the clips are . Also the rear dome light on a four door can be turned off and on by just pushing on the lense . A bulilt in switch .It's an option for people sitting in back seat if they need a light .
The front dome is operated by the by turning the headlight/turn signal lever .
If I have time tomorrow will take a pic with the lense removed so you have a better idea .

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Spear tip,
Thank you. Basically, all I needed to know is where to pry on the lens to release it ? I gave all the pertinent info because there are several different lens types.
Thanks
Tom
Ok so took my dome lens out .
D0F71D30-B8BC-499C-9B30-2713EF486DA5.jpeg
2134BD41-DA6D-4055-BCE4-9B66F6B1DDC9.jpeg
2134BD41-DA6D-4055-BCE4-9B66F6B1DDC9.jpeg

Top pic left side . See how it has a bend and extension to it
That goes in on left side of housing .
On right side just gently push up a smaller size flat blade screwdriver and should pop out .
If there is resistance than maybe yours or mine is reversed so use screwdriver on left side .
But try on the right first . The left , right directions are looking at it from back seat .

Reactions: mrjp and Jermbob28