Does it really matter which brand for mods?

KSwanson

Hey all ☺️

So I am looking into some mods. Fenders, and all of that jazz. I love DV8 and Barricade… I have had a few people tell me to stay away from DV8 because their products always rust.
however I have read the same thing about some barricade products. Is there a better brand out there or are they all basically the same?
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with DV8, or Barricade products. However, I did buy and install a set of Metalcloak fenders on my TJ. These were powder coated by Metalcloak. I love the fenders, but after a year or two they began to show rust. Having said all of that, it taught me a lesson. If I don't want rust, I shouldn't buy steel. The last couple sets of fenders I purchased were aluminum. I'm much happier with them and as a bonus it helps keep the weight down.

I suspect the powder coat (PC) is thin on most of the products out there these days.
At work, we use PC as one of the finish options on our products, so I deal with it (and the local vendors) every day.
Industry standard thickness for PC is 2-5 mils, and we routinely find that to vary, not only across individual parts, but from part to part, and run to run.
There is no standard 'rework process' for PC.
If the coating is thin, adding more and re-baking it is not a viable solution, although I have caught many vendors trying this approach to correct non-uniform or thin applications.
My point is that the substrate is less important than the prep and coating thickness.

If the accessories that you really want are available in raw form, I would go that route and have them coated by your choice of vendor to ensure they can withstand the conditions you plan to expose them to.

I have an expensive AEV bumper on my daily driver and an inexpensive Barricade bumper on my son's jeep. The Barricade isn't showing any signs of rust going on 6 yrs, but every spring I have to deal with rust on the premium bumper. I really should take it off and get it redone.

Reactions: Speartip
I've used everything from factory bumpers to inexpensive aftermarket bumpers, to expensive aftermarket bumpers and even a full on custom bumper.
Doesn't seem to matter. They all get scratched and dented to varying degrees, and that is mostly a matter of how they're used. The ones I've had on for hard core rock crawling got damaged more than those I've had on for milder stuff.

I bought inexpensive steel bumpers from Flea Bay and also a local source.
They look good. Better than the ugly plastic bumpers it came with.
I did notice that the edges that face the tires/road spray have thinning in the powder coat.
Small areas are even down to bare metal.
Some of those spots are beginning to corrode.
VERY small spots, but visible upon inspection.

I have a couple of ideas to address this issue.
1- Reapply matching texture paint as needed, with proper preparation (I won’t just spray over what’s there)
2- Adding some type of edge guard to help prevent wear and chips.

If it is still it doesn't matter if it's expensive or if it's cheap in today's market they all try to skimp out somewhere if you're using it for a daily driver it's going to rust even if it's just water on it Nicks and scratches that's where the rust starts my rock crawler flares have been on for 3 years no rust but I only drive it seasonally mud and water That's it and it's garage all winter

If it is still it doesn't matter if it's expensive or if it's cheap in today's market they all try to skimp out somewhere if you're using it for a daily driver it's going to rust even if it's just water on it Nicks and scratches that's where the rust starts my rock crawler flares have been on for 3 years no rust but I only drive it seasonally mud and water That's it and it's garage all winter

Yup that is generally where the rust begins. Chips & Scratches etc
But some of the higher quality gear do apply more quality paint, primer or powder coat to help eliminate chips, nicks & scratches etc.
I’ve scraped the bottom of my front bumper a few times on excessive approach angles .
No bare metal showing through so no rust . Possibly multi coats of paint & a good primer applied . Not exactly sure but it’s not rusting

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Yup that is generally where the rust begins. Chips & Scratches etc
But some of the higher quality gear do apply more quality paint, primer or powder coat to help eliminate chips, nicks & scratches etc.
I’ve scraped the bottom of my front bumper a few times on excessive approach angles .
No bare metal showing through so no rust . Possibly multi coats of paint & a good primer applied . Not exactly sure but it’s not rusting
I just assume there will be scratches and gouges. I keep some textured paint or spray on bed liner around for touch ups. No problem.

Everybody says chrome doesnt look good. I went with smitty built tube bumpers and side tubes. I'm old school and like the chrome look. I just purchased the raceline renegade 886 wheels and will be installing new tires on them this week. I also have a tj with the same look and all i get is compliments. Will be removing the black wheels from jk this week.

KIMG1058.JPG

KIMG1060.JPG

KIMG1066.JPG

jeep wheels6.JPG

KIMG1061.JPG

Reactions: Dlcain
Chrome only belongs on Harley’s and Cadillacs…
😂
I gotta agree chrome looks good on harleys, My bikes got chrome, But the cadillac has no room for chrome, Im old school and am in automotive industry and into muscle cars also and chrome has always been my thing, Im sure theres alot of jeepsters that will disagree with you, cause my jeeps get me alot of compliments, I know chrome isnt in these days everyone likes the black look, which is nice but i like the clean shinny look. Sorry you dont like my jeeps. Have a great evening

I finally got my new tires installed on my raceline wheels, I think the wheels look good with the tube bumpers and side steps,I know the chrome isnt for everyone, but i like the shine and clean look. Im going to be painting the flares to match body instead of the dull plastic look that fades a couple weeks after treating them.

jkraceline.jpg

jkraceline1.jpg

jkraceline2.jpg

jkraceline3.jpg

jkraceline4.jpg

jkraceline6.jpg

Reactions: Dlcain and Danarch
Time and a place for chrome. Frankly, you’ve got a great vintage look going on there with the Jeeps..

My last Harley. ;)

View attachment 126100
Thanks alot for the compliment on my jeeps, I know chrome isnt for everyone and youre always going to get someone who has to be negitive and put down someone elses toys. We are all jeepsters here and its not a compition of who's is nicer, like some people think. Its all about enjoying your jeep and swapping information to help each other out if you can share your knowledge with others. Iknow this is a jeep forum but i posted pics of my bikes to show him that i agree with him that chrome does look good on Harleys and i have a couple of each, Jeeps and bikes, LOL. By the way your bike looks pretty sharpe, You have good taste in style. Happy jeepin and riding.

Reactions: tJKrider
I like it. There are a few jeeps here in Daytona that are running 22-24" chrome wheels with low pro street tires. I'm starting to like the look lol