Do my existing TPMS units have to be used with new wheels?

Acxman

JK Enthusiast
Jeep Wrangler jk Sahara 2008. I bought some excellent condition used OEM 18x7.5 rims to replace my existing rims that are badly oxidized. The new (used) rims came with the air pressure monitor sensors. When the shop puts on the newer rims, do my existing sensors have to be used Or will the newer sensors work. In other words are my existing sensors dedicated to my Jeep ? Or will the newer sensors work with my Jeep ?
Hope that made sense!

Reactions: Speartip
Just have the shop verify that the sensors are the right ones. Any shop that is worth taking your vehicle to should be able to look at the sensors and tell you, I think the scanning tool they use can tell them as well. Not 100% on that though.

The way the TPMS works on wranglers, can take around 20 miles for the sensors to get picked up by the computer.

When I get new rims doing away with the TPNS sensors all together . Not worth the hassle IMHO.
Already hsve i turned off . It’s a great feature when operating properly but if a sensor goes can be a pain to fig out which one . Than hsve to get replaced .
I’m old school and am always visually checking tires anyways .

When I get new rims doing away with the TPNS sensors all together . Not worth the hassle IMHO.
I think the more time you spend off-highway, the less useful TPMS is.
Already hsve i turned off . It’s a great feature when operating properly but if a sensor goes can be a pain to fig out which one .
I think that is year dependent. Our 2011 just says "OMG!!!! You've got a tire low!!!! Go figure out which one!!!!!" but the '13 tells you the actual pressure in each tire. I've checked it with the gauge on my compressor, and it's pretty acurate.

Reactions: Duster and Speartip