Do I need Dana 44 front to run 37” tires?

Hitman2/8

I have Dana 44 rear axle. Do I need dana44 front to run 37” tires. I’ve also got it supercharged. And not sure if I’ll need to rehear or run gears I’ve got factory gears.

Yes, if you want to wheel it and not break things, you really need a Dana 44 to run 37s, with alloy axle shafts (i.e. Revolution, Yukon, etc.).

Thanks. I’ve been on the fence about putting on 37s. Getting the Dana 44 and new gears 5:13 and brake upgrade. All that may be over doing my bank account right now. But I do look forward to doing it. I just don’t want to go in half cocked. Appreciate your response.

No problem at all!

Get a Dana 44 front, some upgraded axle shafts, and you should be able to handle the 37s fine, as long as you don't drive it like a complete moron, in which case you can break just about any axle! (y)

Reactions: JK_OWNER_
Lol. Think I’ve grown outta my moron stage. Thanks for the advice. Are y’all saying I won’t need to re-gear as well?

Yes, you'll definitely need to re-gear, no question about that. Expect to spend $1600 to $2000 for a re-gear on average.

Will the front Dana 30 axle handle an Eaton Selectable locker. Running 33" tires on 2013 2 door Sport. Will just be running trails in the 5-7 rating 10 scale? No plans to do any more upgrades or harder trails.

Will the front Dana 30 axle handle an Eaton Selectable locker. Running 33" tires on 2013 2 door Sport. Will just be running trails in the 5-7 rating 10 scale? No plans to do any more upgrades or harder trails.

Yes

No problem at all!

Get a Dana 44 front, some upgraded axle shafts, and you should be able to handle the 37s fine, as long as you don't drive it like a complete moron, in which case you can break just about any axle! (y)
There is a thing, called dumb luck, I saw a dude that has d30 at the front on his 2dr sport JK, 37s, rubicon and moab, without any problems, some people break d30 on 35s (oof) sooo, maybe its about how u drive also? d44 and d30 are not that big different? Or maybe Im wrong? (pardon me if iam)

There is a thing, called dumb luck, I saw a dude that has d30 at the front on his 2dr sport JK, 37s, rubicon and moab, without any problems, some people break d30 on 35s (oof) sooo, maybe its about how u drive also?
Obviously, how you drive and what the axle is connected to makes a difference. The D44 axles under our Wranglers hold up just fine with lockers and 35's, behind the JK engines. But swap in the LS3 out of my Vette, and you can expect them to last about 8 feet. With the JK engines, put on beadlocks, drop the tires down to 5PSI and sidestep the clutch a few times and they'll go boom.
d44 and d30 are not that big different? Or maybe Im wrong? (pardon me if iam)
There is a big difference. The D44 has a beefier ring gear. The D30 axle is 27 spline, 1.13" diameter. The D44 is 30 spline, 1.31". If you don't think more than 1/8" extra steel is significant, you should think again.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
There is a thing, called dumb luck, I saw a dude that has d30 at the front on his 2dr sport JK, 37s, rubicon and moab, without any problems, some people break d30 on 35s (oof) sooo, maybe its about how u drive also? d44 and d30 are not that big different? Or maybe Im wrong? (pardon me if iam)

You aren't wrong.

A lot of it is the driver. I have a Polaris RZR XP Turbo. People constantly complain about breaking these things all the time. How the diffs aren't strong enough, yada, yada, yada. I've never once had any issues with mine whatsoever. I also don't drive it like a moron. I don't stress load the driveline and I don't do stupid stuff.

So yes, driver is a big part. However, 37s are big tires and the peace of mind that comes with upgrading your axle can often times be worth it, especially if you're going far off the beaten path or if you're bouncing around in the rocks.

You aren't wrong.

A lot of it is the driver. I have a Polaris RZR XP Turbo. People constantly complain about breaking these things all the time. How the diffs aren't strong enough, yada, yada, yada. I've never once had any issues with mine whatsoever. I also don't drive it like a moron. I don't stress load the driveline and I don't do stupid stuff.

So yes, driver is a big part. However, 37s are big tires and the peace of mind that comes with upgrading your axle can often times be worth it, especially if you're going far off the beaten path or if you're bouncing around in the rocks.
Driver definitely plays a big part. I have Dana 30 with 37's. The 30 is trussed though. I know what I can and can't do. If I get into a bad situation, I have my winch to help. I also never wheel alone. You only make that mistake one time!

Agreed driver is a big issue. I’m convinced the vast majority of people with breakage is due to how the Jeep is driven and maintenance of their Jeep.
It also depends on where you're you're driving.
Doing this
IMG_0179.JPG
Is far less likely to result in breakage than doing this
DCAM1237.JPG

Both are great fun.

Thanks. I’ve been on the fence about putting on 37s. Getting the Dana 44 and new gears 5:13 and brake upgrade. All that may be over doing my bank account right now. But I do look forward to doing it. I just don’t want to go in half cocked. Appreciate your response.
I've got 37" super swampers on my 2014 JK sport with 30s on front and 44s on the rear. I off road and climb hills but never anything hard. I'm old and Iike to ease over things now.