Coolant system burping

Rubiwhite14

Howdy y’all,

Need some help with my 14 Jk with that 3.6l…
So the issue is I recently change the thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, drain all the coolant of course. When filling it up with the coolant bucket burp system I bought of harbor freights. I also let the thermostat housing burp then closed it when the air stop coming out from there. After this, I filled up that burp bucket siting on the radiator fill while just about a quarter way fill. Then started the jeep with the heater on and let it start burp out all the air at idle. It would slowly took coolant and I would have to refill it, not letting it go empty but after a while of course at operating temperature 30 minutes in staying at 215° average. The burp system bucket quarter way up completely started to bubble like crazy and overflowed the burp bucket and over spilled so I turned off the jeep and the coolant drained back into the radiator from the bucket being full! anyone know why it went crazy at the end? do I still need to continue burping it because there might be big air bubbles somewhere? Do appreciate the help.

I would suggest raising the front of the Jeep up at least 6" when burping the air out.

The crazy bubbling at the end sounds like it could be a bad headgasket. Why did you replace everything in the first place?

Reactions: Duster and BigAL07
Just did regular maintenance figured I do it early

Thought you might have had a cooling issue, that bubbling could have been a large bubble pushed out. If you still have air in it you'll probably have some overheating issues.

Have you taken it for a drive to see how it cools?

Reactions: BigAL07
If there is air still in the system, it'll become readily apparent when your temp gauge begins bouncing all over the place.
And, as BLACKJKU mentioned, getting the front end above grade from the rear end by 6" or so is critical. You don't really need the burping kits and special funnels and all that. Just start the engine and begin adding coolant slowly, let it settle and burp until the level is just below the radiator cop level and doesn't drop or burp any longer.
Put the cap back on and add coolant to the reservoir to the appropriate line.