Coolant flush & emptying engine block

2016JKU

I am attempting to change the coolant on my 2016 Jeep JKU and I am using distilled water to flush out the coolant system. However when I am trying to drain the coolant I am only getting about 1 gallon out (Radiator drain and Removing lower radiator hose). Is there anyway that I can drain out the whole system in a different way because I am pretty sure that this system takes about 3 gallons of coolant.

Edit: I do not want to knock off the 50/50 mix

Last edited:
Do you know of anyway for me to remove more coolant from the system?
Not really. I assume it was full to start with? Did you remove the radiator cap? I can’t imagine that would stop it. Are you sure you have the drain plugged turned all the way? When we did my boys 07 I thought the drain plug was opened all the way, but it was coming out really slow. So I decided to apply more force and then it opened up a lot more.

I'm a little confused by your statement of flushing the system but not wanting to knock off the 50/50 mix.

This post on another forum is a very complete process. Last time I flushed the JK I followed probably 90% of this.

Honestly, this should be cribbed and pasted in the resources on this site because you never know when something might disappear on the internet.

Just to further answer your question, I haven't seen any way to fully drain the 3.6 like you can on other blocks. Kind of an annoyance that the best you can do is just fully flush with distilled water and then refill with a 50/50 mix.

Is it fine for the 50/50 mix to be off a little
It's no big deal. You can run 100% coolant or 100% water or anywhere in between.
The 50/50 mix is good for most people. But if you go someplace really cold, 50/50 can freeze. And if it never gets cold, you don't need the antifreeze portion of the mixture at all.

Reactions: JerryD
It's no big deal. You can run 100% coolant or 100% water or anywhere in between.
The 50/50 mix is good for most people. But if you go someplace really cold, 50/50 can freeze. And if it never gets cold, you don't need the antifreeze portion of the mixture at all.
Sounds good, thank you!