Compatible engine swap

Hemdog103

Hi all new to the forum. We have a 2011 2 door JK 70th anniversary. Have an engine tick that a friend / mechanic says is the wrist pin failing. Predicts the engine will go sooner than later. I’ve heard a lot of problems with the 3.6 engine so is there another Jeep engine that will fit directly into this without major mods? Thinking maybe the 4 liter? Any information would be appreciated

A quick answer is no. But any engine can be put in there if you have the experience or the money to pay someone.

Reactions: mrjp
You have a 3.6 in a 2011? My understanding is that all 2011 still have the 3.8, and 2012 was the first model year to have the 3.6, which is backed up by a quick google search.

Regardless, @BLACKJKU has it. There are major modifications that need to happen for anything other than a replacement stock engine.

Your 2011 should be the 3.8. Which, in my opinion, is a turd. Low power being the main issue.

I swapped mine out and put in a 5.7 hemi. A ton more work and money when replacing the 3.8. But if you're going to swap a non-3 8 engine, it'll be the same work involved, if not more, to do a 4.0 than a Hemi. I even used JSS bolt in engine mounts for the hemi. Plug and play harness.

Reactions: Claymore and mrjp
Your 2011 should be the 3.8. Which, in my opinion, is a turd. Low power being the main issue.

I swapped mine out and put in a 5.7 hemi. A ton more work and money when replacing the 3.8. But if you're going to swap a non-3 8 engine, it'll be the same work involved, if not more, to do a 4.0 than a Hemi. I even used JSS bolt in engine mounts for the hemi. Plug and play harness.
Yeah, and the more similar infrastructure of an engine from the same parent company is probably going to make it easier.

JK Gear and Gadgets on youtube did a hemi swap on his JK. Really walks you through it. Check out his series on that for a pretty in depth look at doing it. He gives prices and reasons as he goes.

Going with a older carburetor engine is a easy option but won't be as fuel efficient. The main work around would be the TIPM, but with a wiring schematic i'd think it could be bypassed.

Even a Aftermarket fuel management system on a older gas engine would be simpler then Chrysler's nightmare electronics.

If you are going to take it to a shop, be sure to verify that they have done this job multiple times, and recently.
I say this because I began a relatively straightforward lift and gear change a week before Christmas.
Unfortunately the shop has undergone an almost complete personnel change and a bout of the flu that somehow caused
them to neglect to do an alignment after the installation, which was not the biggest issue.
They also left out a 1/4 inch pipe plug that caused a gear oil leak that was completely missed on two subsequent visits to remedy the oil spraying all over the rear of the rig.
Long story short, the lack of gear oil caused excessive wear very quickly.
Now the ring and pinion in that new axle housing need to be replaced.
This could have been avoided if they had taken the time to look it over, and finish what they were doing before moving on to the next task.
Sorry for the rant, but I do not want this to happen to you.