Chirping/Squeaking Noise

MadMickey

To start off, I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (3.6L). Manual Transmission.

So I've had this annoying chirp/squeak noise happening for a while now and have spent the past few months trying to figure it out to include a trip to the dealership, to which they said they could not hear the noise. The noise sounds like its coming from the rear, I hear it behind me while driving but if I'm in the backseat I cannot pinpoint the noise at all from the rear seats it sounds like its coming from all over the place. The best I can describe the noise is a loud squeak/ chirping noise. The noise is intermittent I'd say it happens every 30 seconds or so but its hard to give a good timeframe as it can be random at times and disappear as well for a bit . I never notice the noise when I first start driving for the day, as in if my vehicle has been sitting for a while but 10-15 minutes of driving and it'll start up. It also does not happen while idling, only while driving.

The thing that is odd is I only seem to be able to hear it when the air-conditioning is on, it hasn't been cold enough to test if I can hear it with the heater on but hopefully I can test that here soon as the weather gets colder. I'm not sure if it has to do with the air-conditioning but my current theory is that having the air-conditioning on is allowing the sound to resonate through the vents and when I have it turned off it dampens the noise enough to where I cant hear it. I've also noticed that when turning left from a dead stop and accelerating the noise seems to be louder than usual, other than that it appears pretty consistent noise-wise while driving down the road. I can't pinpoint it to going down rough roads or hitting bumps either, I can be driving down a smooth nicely paved highway and hear the intermittent squeak noise every 30 seconds or so, but I've hit bumps on purpose to see if that would cause the noise without any success. I've also shaken the shit out of my jeep to see if I could get it to make the noise without success either.

Things ive tried so far:
-Replacing front brakes and rotors
-Replacing rear brakes and rotors
-Dealership replaced emergency brake pads and mechanical parts as well as free'd up snagged emergency brake line
-Dealership tightened Body Mounts
-Replaced Serpentine belt
-Applied Sil-glyde to all bushings that I could.
-Tightened doors and Hatch.
-Removed Jack
-Removed Spare tire and drove around, noise still happened.
-Lubed all door latches and rear hatch hinges
-Tightened all Hardtop mounts/screws
-Lubed all weatherstrip's

My guess is that it has something to do with my suspension but I can't pinpoint what part and its odd to me that it takes a while of driving before the noise starts. I would think if it were a suspension issue it would happen as soon as the vehicle started moving or when hitting bigger bumps. I've also heard the rear seat can cause issues but it doesn't make sense to me that the noise would dampen with the air-conditioning off if it were the rear seat causing issues.

Im currently at a loss as to what it could be and the noise is slowly making me lose my sanity lol. I've scoured the forums trying to find an answer to no avail...

Smoke detector needs a new battery?

Kidding... put someone on the rear bumper and get the rear suspension flexing up & down and see if you have a shock tube rubbing or a spring squeaking.

Thats a lot of shyt the dealer did to find something they cannot hear! Guessing it's not warranty work either.

If you know someone with an action cam and mounts (DJI osmo or GoPro) Id mount it somewhere below the body and take it for a spin, see if the recordings reveal something you cant see.

I like what @BLACKJKU suggested too. I also have a chirp-like sound when I feather the gas. Im guessing mine is a bad ujoint. Doesnt bug me enough to care atm, though.

Thats a lot of shyt the dealer did to find something they cannot hear! Guessing it's not warranty work either.

If you know someone with an action cam and mounts (DJI osmo or GoPro) Id mount it somewhere below the body and take it for a spin, see if the recordings reveal something you cant see.

I like what @BLACKJKU suggested too. I also have a chirp-like sound when I feather the gas. Im guessing mine is a bad ujoint. Doesnt bug me enough to care atm, though.
Most of the stuff was done by me and my dad lol, only thing the dealer did was the emergency brake and tightening the body mounts haha. My dad has a good mechanical sense so usually I can get him to help but unfortunately hes lost a lot of hearing so he cant hear the noise anyway :LOL:. My brother and mom hear it as well so I know I'm not crazy...

Unfortunately I dont know anyone who has equipment like that... As for the U-Joint on the drivetrain, my Jeep has CV style drivetrain joints, I imagine it acts similarly to a U-joint and could be producing a Squeak noise but my dad said usually when they start going bad its a constant chirp that would change depending on speed, this doesn't seem to change with speed, even going 60mph down the highway it seems to be an intermittent chirp every 30 seconds or so.

I'm not opposed to replacing the CV joints as it doesn't seem too expensive or hard to do just looking at any options or ideas on top of it lol.

Smoke detector needs a new battery?

Kidding... put someone on the rear bumper and get the rear suspension flexing up & down and see if you have a shock tube rubbing or a spring squeaking.
My brother, dad and I have shaken the hell out of my jeep and cant seem to get it to replicate lol. Ill get them to do it again here with me inside and the jeep running, maybe that'll produce something. I had the mechanic look at my suspension when I had it in the shop and he said he didnt see any wear spots from where the suspension was potentially rubbing. I was thinking possibly sway bar bushings going bad, but ive sprayed the shit out of everything with siliglyde and it didnt seem to help at all.

Could be a bad universal joint in the driveshaft.
My main driveshaft is a CV style joint, the driveshaft that runs the front wheels has U-joints though. I may replace the CV joints on the main shaft to see if it fixes anything. Doesn't seem like too hard of a job or too expensive and it cant hurt to replace them after 100k miles anyway haha

Reactions: Threepointsix
Ah, OK then valid. Always better to DIY, in most cases.

I know you already stated that you did the brakes but I had a similar squeak from my back driver side wheel. Ended up being two broken clips (that hold the brake pad) so new one's where lubricated and installed. Noise was gone.

Does it happen on smooth, bumpy or any roads?
Happens on all roads lol, I could be going down a nicely paved highway and itll do it
Ah, OK then valid. Always better to DIY, in most cases.

I know you already stated that you did the brakes but I had a similar squeak from my back driver side wheel. Ended up being two broken clips (that hold the brake pad) so new one's where lubricated and installed. Noise was gone.
Oh, i replaced all the clips and greased them dont worry lol, that was one of my first thoughts!

Reactions: Threepointsix
jack up the rear axle.. secure the hell out of things, and "drive" to see if it still makes the noise.
Eliminate as many factors as you can.
Sorry, no AC when doing this.

Reactions: MadMickey and mrjp
To start off, I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (3.6L). Manual Transmission.

So I've had this annoying chirp/squeak noise happening for a while now and have spent the past few months trying to figure it out to include a trip to the dealership, to which they said they could not hear the noise. The noise sounds like its coming from the rear, I hear it behind me while driving but if I'm in the backseat I cannot pinpoint the noise at all from the rear seats it sounds like its coming from all over the place. The best I can describe the noise is a loud squeak/ chirping noise. The noise is intermittent I'd say it happens every 30 seconds or so but its hard to give a good timeframe as it can be random at times and disappear as well for a bit . I never notice the noise when I first start driving for the day, as in if my vehicle has been sitting for a while but 10-15 minutes of driving and it'll start up. It also does not happen while idling, only while driving.

The thing that is odd is I only seem to be able to hear it when the air-conditioning is on, it hasn't been cold enough to test if I can hear it with the heater on but hopefully I can test that here soon as the weather gets colder. I'm not sure if it has to do with the air-conditioning but my current theory is that having the air-conditioning on is allowing the sound to resonate through the vents and when I have it turned off it dampens the noise enough to where I cant hear it. I've also noticed that when turning left from a dead stop and accelerating the noise seems to be louder than usual, other than that it appears pretty consistent noise-wise while driving down the road. I can't pinpoint it to going down rough roads or hitting bumps either, I can be driving down a smooth nicely paved highway and hear the intermittent squeak noise every 30 seconds or so, but I've hit bumps on purpose to see if that would cause the noise without any success. I've also shaken the shit out of my jeep to see if I could get it to make the noise without success either.

Things ive tried so far:
-Replacing front brakes and rotors
-Replacing rear brakes and rotors
-Dealership replaced emergency brake pads and mechanical parts as well as free'd up snagged emergency brake line
-Dealership tightened Body Mounts
-Replaced Serpentine belt
-Applied Sil-glyde to all bushings that I could.
-Tightened doors and Hatch.
-Removed Jack
-Removed Spare tire and drove around, noise still happened.
-Lubed all door latches and rear hatch hinges
-Tightened all Hardtop mounts/screws
-Lubed all weatherstrip's

My guess is that it has something to do with my suspension but I can't pinpoint what part and its odd to me that it takes a while of driving before the noise starts. I would think if it were a suspension issue it would happen as soon as the vehicle started moving or when hitting bigger bumps. I've also heard the rear seat can cause issues but it doesn't make sense to me that the noise would dampen with the air-conditioning off if it were the rear seat causing issues.

Im currently at a loss as to what it could be and the noise is slowly making me lose my sanity lol. I've scoured the forums trying to find an answer to no avail...
I was going crazy with this noise, when I travel with passengers in the rear seat both occupy no noise at all, if some travel in the rear driver side the noise keeps going. I try grease, tape nothing work just by accident I lift the passenger back seat keeping the headrest all the way back until the seat was locked in place then I let the headrest get back to its locking position, problem solve. It might be the headrest locking system or spring.

Reactions: mrjp