Check TPM System

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
Whatever that means.
All of my tire pressures within the limits I set on JScan and the dash is showing me correct pressures for all the tires and they match my pressure gauge. I manually checked all of them this morning before heading off to work.

So, why is my tire pressure warning light coming on, flashing for about a minute and staying on? Is this just an indication that one of the sensors has gone south? None of the four wheels is flashing on the dash as it does if an individual tire pressure is down.
I getting ready to spring for new tires in the next 30 days or so, so if it's a bad sensor, I'll just ignore it until we get new shoes.

What about your spare? If you check your pressures on a schedule why not just disable the TPMS?

I just bought a very low mileage (17,500 miles) 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Wheeler. I don’t intend to do any muddying, climbing rocks, off roading with it, just road use and traveling with it. How likely is it that I will have similar problems that many are having with the TIPM, Death Wobble, electrical problems, etc.? Thanks

I just bought a very low mileage (17,500 miles) 2017 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Wheeler. I don’t intend to do any muddying, climbing rocks, off roading with it, just road use and traveling with it. How likely is it that I will have similar problems that many are having with the TIPM, Death Wobble, electrical problems, etc.? Thanks

The TPMS isn't really a problem it can be deleted so that it doesn't work. Death wobble happens mostly when a Jeep is lifted incorrectly or when parts wear out. 4x4 vehicles with front coil spring suspensions are more likely to have death wobble then leaf spring vehicles. Just my opinion the reason the Jeeps have the electrical issues is because they have to much controlled by the TIPM and ECM.

Thanks BlackJKU. I’m new to Jeeps, but love mine. I hope that Chrysler/Jeep have been or are working on solutions for the TIPM problem. It seems to be a pretty common problem among Chrysler product owners.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Oh, the TIPM. Whoever came up with that idea should be strapped to a rock and crawled on!

Some mess up, some don't. My wife's Liberty is getting screwy. The locks quit working and now the rear wiper continues on and on and on and on, before it finally stops. Oh, the odometer changes on it's own too..... not the actual mileage your smart-asses! :LOL: I mean, it cycles through all of the options on it's own. I'm not sure it's TIPM related though.

All of that being said.... I LOVE my Wrangler!!!

T

Last edited:
I think the TIPM issues were mostly in the 2012 range. That said, my daughters 2012 hasn't had any issues, nor has my '16 or my daughter in law's '13. My son's 2008 has the same blasted TPMS issue @Anybodyhome mentioned. When the tires were replaced a couple of years ago, I had a full set of TPMS modules that he took in to have replaced. The replaced two. Problem still exists. Really ticked me off, but my son was intimidated to push it. C'est la vie.

I think the death wobble stock JK's experience are due mostly to inferior ball joints and slightly larger than stock tires - recipe for premature wear.

Whatever that means.
All of my tire pressures within the limits I set on JScan and the dash is showing me correct pressures for all the tires and they match my pressure gauge. I manually checked all of them this morning before heading off to work.

So, why is my tire pressure warning light coming on, flashing for about a minute and staying on? Is this just an indication that one of the sensors has gone south? None of the four wheels is flashing on the dash as it does if an individual tire pressure is down.
I getting ready to spring for new tires in the next 30 days or so, so if it's a bad sensor, I'll just ignore it until we get new shoes.
Same exact problem @Anybodyhome, about a month ago. Haven't carried a spare tire for over 8 months, no issues. I went through the motions though. Checked them all, all within 8 psi. Aired them up to 50 psi, bled them back down to 30-32 psi. Light still flashed for 75 seconds and then stayed steady. Bled them down to low 20s, aired them back up to 30-32. Still got the light.

Disabled TPMS, haven't seen the warning since!
Scheduled for a tire change in the next 6 months, may get all new sensors, may just get standard valves, haven't decided.