Cheap Air filters Versus Expensive Air Filters

And with the new horsepower do you put more strain on an engine? I thought it was also for better gas mileage. Do people find it helps that? Because I've had people say that it doesn't help

And with the new horsepower do you put more strain on an engine? I thought it was also for better gas mileage. Do people find it helps that? Because I've had people say that it doesn't help

Your not putting any strain on by adding a reasonable amount of HP. A free flowing air filter can give you some MPG's and HP. But the intake part of a CAI you really won't gain much from it on a stock engine.

Reactions: BigAL07
It helps mileage about as much as power. Not much, especially by itself. But it does add up.

Ask yourself this. If my engine sounds better, will I be able to keep my foot out of the throttle? Most people can’t. Including myself🤣 add in the aerodynamics of a cinder block and the fuel mixtures we have today and that will be your answer 😂🍺🍺

Ask yourself this. If my engine sounds better, will I be able to keep my foot out of the throttle? Most people can’t. Including myself🤣 add in the aerodynamics of a cinder block and the fuel mixtures we have today and that will be your answer 😂🍺🍺
That sounds like a you problem, not an engine problem. :ROFLMAO:

Come on. If I can keep my foot out of it long enough to get 32MPG in the Vette and, in the process, convince my wife that a Corvette is an economy car, you can keep your foot out of it too. Have some faith in yourself. Stay strong.

Your not putting any strain on by adding a reasonable amount of HP. A free flowing air filter can give you some MPG's and HP. But the intake part of a CAI you really won't gain much from it on a stock engine.
So you need a custom built engine to make it worthwhile? Yeah I just have a 2008 regular stock engine. It sounds like a nice clean filter and keeping that way is the way to go. Is that what you mean by free flowing?

Reactions: BigAL07
So you need a custom built engine to make it worthwhile? Yeah I just have a 2008 regular stock engine. It sounds like a nice clean filter and keeping that way is the way to go. Is that what you mean by free flowing?

Free flowing filter is a filter that isn't to restrictive, but yet filters enough to not let dirt through it.

Somewhere on the web is someone that ran some tests on air filters, i'll have to find it when I get a chance.

Just saying that a higher performance engine would need more air volume from a bigger diameter intake tube.

Back to the question. Good clean filter is all u really need. I tried a CAI years ago and not afraid to admit I didn’t care for it. Replaced it with a good cleanable AFE filter. No complaints at all. I clean it good each time I change oil

I swapped out the disposable engine and cabin filters for washable K&N filters. If you plan to own your jeep for at least 10 years then the cost will be fully amortized, since you save the costs of replacements, and if you take it to a shop rather than DIY, the labor cost as well. There are a lot of tweaks we do to engines that are short term costs and long term savings. As concerns air filters Project Farm on YouTube has comparisons of air filters his conclusions don't show any performance benefits.

Because I believe in providing support for ones statements:

This one is particularly useful, since you can see the actual power curve, showing how much more you gain in the vital low- and mid-range.

Cold Air Intakes add power. This is undeniable. It's not a huge addition, but it is real. They are not superchargers. They are not game changers. In conjunction with supporting mods, they produce bigger gains. And the more you modify the engine, the more important it will be to have an open, free flowing intake.
Thanks for the videos! Learned a lot from the factual/data perspective on this never ending discussion.

Reactions: Dirty Dog