buying used...some questions

fishchowder

I am looking very hard at a 2016 Sahara Unlimited. I have never owned a jeep but have always dreamed. I took it for a pretty extensive test drive the other day. It seems mostly on the up and up. I noticed the brakes were a little screechy and my buddy suggested the rear shocks might need replacing. I peeled back the carpet on the floor by each door. Both driver side door carpet were soaked. It had rained the day before. On the back passenger side, there was enough water under the carpet to where I could splash in it with my fingers. The driver's side had a couple rust areas under the carpet..maybe 2x2 inches where the paint had come off. Is that rust going to be an issue in the future? I know jeeps have leaks but I want to make sure that what I think should be a reasonable leak and what should be fixed. I couldn't determine where it might be coming from but the dealer said they are going to do a water test so I will see what they say. It had 200,000km on it. Is there anything I might need to watch out for? The dealer said they will fix anything required to ensure it passes inspection but nothing more.

Thanks for the help!

They all have some issues the best suggestion is to read through all the different Forums and you'll find out all the common problems.

Chrysler never was known for having good electronics in there vehicles.

Take a good look underneath for any damage, leaks, see if it looks like it has been abused. A few minutes looking at the underside can tell a lot. Look at the ground too for drips, of course just looked at one yesterday and they had it parked over grass, probably because there was oil on the underside of it. If raised look for the amount of lift, if there are adjustable control arms or the stock ones.

Just about all of them will leak. One of the biggest culprits is around the doors toward the front. Go to hardware store and get some weatherstripping to add to it.
As for the rust, if there's not a hole it's not a deal breaker. First thing you need to do is rip the carpet out and Rhino line it.
Our 2010 had major rust under the carpet at the driver feet. I had to do a repair but it's not a big deal. It happens.

Just about all of them will leak. One of the biggest culprits is around the doors toward the front. Go to hardware store and get some weatherstripping to add to it.
As for the rust, if there's not a hole it's not a deal breaker. First thing you need to do is rip the carpet out and Rhino line it.
Our 2010 had major rust under the carpet at the driver feet. I had to do a repair but it's not a big deal. It happens.

That's what I figured. Thanks. I am going in tomorrow to an get update. The finance manager said they were "going to do it all" when I asked if they were going to repair what I asked them to so we will see. If that turns out to be true, I will be pretty happy and finally have the jeep I have dreamed about for so long. I am pretty psyched.

Reactions: FJQue
After owning a 'new-to-me' JKU (purchased from a longtime friend) I wouldn't buy another JK without a good warranty. There's so many weird and annoying things (especially for my OCD) that could go wrong unexpectedly. It's a MF'r.

Make sure they put it in writing that they'll "fix" the issues you find before dropping the money.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
I had one of the local jeep club guys who has a shop give it a look for me. Other than a couple smallish things I can fix myself later, one biggish thing that the dealer agreed to fix. I put down a deposit and hopefully will get it in a day or 3. I am pretty pumped...now to scour the forum for how I am going to spend the new few years of paycheques.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: mrjp
So tomorrow is the day everything goes down. I sat with them and got all the back and forths straightened out which leads to me the question of, Do I get an extended warranty or not?

2016 Sahara Unlimited
204000 km

Warranty is 3 years or 36000 km for $2600 taxes in.

Am I possibly going to run into issues in the next 1.5-2 years that will make it worth forking out for this? I have always declined warranties but I have also never bought an older jeep with a boatload of milage. The clock is ticking.

So tomorrow is the day everything goes down. I sat with them and got all the back and forths straightened out which leads to me the question of, Do I get an extended warranty or not?

2016 Sahara Unlimited
204000 km

Warranty is 3 years or 36000 km for $2600 taxes in. It covers up to a max $5000 over the life of the warranty but has a lot of clauses in there to deny a claim....including modifications to just about everything.

I am possibly going to run into issues in the next 1.5-2 years that will make it worth forking out for this? I have always declined warranties but I have also never bought an older jeep with a boatload of milage. I am leaning toward the usual "thanks but no thanks" but I thought I would ask the experts.

126k is up there. There will no doubt be things that need replacing. Question is when?

So what does this warranty cover EXACTLY, and what is your deductible, if any, and what is the limit of repairs? Meaning do they "fix" it once and thats it per component? Furthermore, do they do the repairs themselves or is it contracted out? Not sure if you're working with a dealer or a "buy here, pay here" lot.

$0 deductible and bought through a dealer but the warranty is through a 3rd party the dealer has available to them. Max $2500 for the 1st repair and overall max $5000 total over the term. Doesn't seem stellar when I read the fine print and that max number. For example, the engine components are covered....unless they are damaged due to overheating, regardless of the cause. Or "this" is covered...unless it is deemed unusual use (I read that as if it left pavement) or if dust or dirt or mud are a cause of something it won't be fixed.

I have pretty much convinced myself it isn't worth the gamble.

I had a warranty for the 1st 2 years and dropped it. Now I stick the $80 a month I was paying for it aside for any issues. Got a prorated refund of $750 when I cancelled . That went into the kitty as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
On a Jeep with that many klicks, I’d make certain the condition of the driveshafts, axle shafts (particularly the u joints), unit bearings (wheel bearing assemblies) and the brakes. If it’s a manual, replace the inner shift boot. It’s not a matter of if these items need to be addressed, but when.

When the driveshaft Rzeppa joints (CVs) wear out, don’t waste your money getting them replaced. Don’t waste your money at all on the factory driveshafts. Replace them with aftermarket double cardan driveshafts. Adams driveshafts are excellent and what I use in my Wrangler.

Have the undercarriage cleaned up and treated with an anti corrosion coating and plan to have the coating renewed annually.

Reactions: fishchowder
We know all Jeeps leak, and they’ll drain if you let them. This Jeep with significant rust suggests a neglectful owner. No telling what else might have been neglected too. You’re buying “as is”. Keep looking.