Burning smell coming from front right tire

dbsteff

I have a 2012 JK with 135000 miles. I can smell a burning smell coming from the front right tire and the lug nuts are very hot to touch. When I brake it pulls left a little. I recently replaced the wheel bearing hub assembly on the front right tire. The bearing went out while driving with the telltale steering wheel vibration and pulling hard to that side. Once the bearing was replaced all seemed well. Then I noticed a smell coming from that same tire. I replaced the caliper and brake pads cause I thought the original caliper was catching. It drove well for a few days before I noticed the burning smell. And I can feel it pull right while driving and then pull left when braking. I didn’t over tighten the spindle nut to the best of my knowledge. I tightened it on with the correct torque specs. And sometimes I can smell the but I I’m at a loss for what this could be now. Any help would be great

Agree with above that your caliper is still sticking and that since you replaced the caliper, it's a good chance your brake line is restricting fluid flow especially the caliper's release. This seems to be such a common issue. I too had it and just did the lines as part of the caliper replacement. You should also do a fluid flush and replace while there.

I have a 2012 JK with 135000 miles. I can smell a burning smell coming from the front right tire and the lug nuts are very hot to touch. When I brake it pulls left a little. I recently replaced the wheel bearing hub assembly on the front right tire. The bearing went out while driving with the telltale steering wheel vibration and pulling hard to that side. Once the bearing was replaced all seemed well. Then I noticed a smell coming from that same tire. I replaced the caliper and brake pads cause I thought the original caliper was catching. It drove well for a few days before I noticed the burning smell. And I can feel it pull right while driving and then pull left when braking. I didn’t over tighten the spindle nut to the best of my knowledge. I tightened it on with the correct torque specs. And sometimes I can smell the but I I’m at a loss for what this could be now. Any help would be great

Try to turn it by hand when it's cool. As others have said, it's either your brake line or one of the pins is stuck.

I had the same symptoms as you when I first got my Jeep, and it turned out to be a stuck caliper pin.

Nothing a torch, replacement boots and some vice grips can't fix though ;)

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Did you happen to figure this out? I just replaced my front rotors, calipers and pads 2 weeks ago, and very similar thing with my 2012 Wrangler. 😩

Did you happen to figure this out? I just replaced my front rotors, calipers and pads 2 weeks ago, and very similar thing with my 2012 Wrangler. 😩

Did you replace your rubber brake lines they can get bad and collapse in the inside and had the brake on.

Did you replace your rubber brake lines they can get bad and collapse in the inside and had the brake on.
That was not done so I will definitely ask about that. Is there a way to check prior to me bringing it in? Keeping in mind, I have no garage or driveway to do so sadly.

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp
That was not done so I will definitely ask about that. Is there a way to check prior to me bringing it in? Keeping in mind, I have no garage or driveway to do so sadly.

Jack up the side that stinks push the brake pedal hard then try to turn the wheel, If it won't turn then crack open the bleeder on the caliper and see if it releases the brake. If it does then the hose is bad.

Reactions: Danarch and mrjp