Brake lights quit working

Gary

Stop Lights were working just fine. Now nothing but Tail lights and Turn signals.

Checked fuses...all ok.
I would not expect the Stop Light switch to just DIE???

2008 Wrangler 2 door

Help Please any ideas...

GARY

FYI, on my ‘15 I recently messed w/ the JScan settings to customize the DRL settings while trying to get my aftermarket fog lights to work using the factory switch.
This managed to eliminate both corner brake lights. The center light still functioned normally.

While troubleshooting, I learned that there is no fuse for the corner brake lights.
Their function is controlled within the ECU for some strange reason.

Not sure if this also applies to your model year, but knowing what I know now, I would check for any codes if you can and clear them.
I’d also undo any possible changes you may have made while customizing other settings w/JScan or similar tools.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Yes, I just can't imagine the switch just dieing.....but I guess it is possible.... I will check it tomorrow.
Why not? That's sort of what switches do. They work, then they don't.

Check the stuff you tweaked with JScan, then grab a multimeter and see where the power stops.

Reactions: mrjp
In my limited experience Switches usually get flaky and then die. Soon as my garage gets above Minus 20 I will commence with troubleshooting.
Best investment I've made in ages.
IMG_5728[1].JPG

Reactions: Gary
I'll bet a $1 that it's due to the JSCAN settings...
Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would make a brake light circuit so complicated that is has no fuse, is dependent upon the ECU programming, and is also somehow related to DRL controls, but apparently it is all of the above.

I'll bet a $1 that it's due to the JSCAN settings...
Can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would make a brake light circuit so complicated that is has no fuse, is dependent upon the ECU programming, and is also somehow related to DRL controls, but apparently it is all of the above.

It's a Chrysler thing.

Reactions: mrjp and Dirty Dog
Well, heck I spent a long time looking into J SCAN settings today and did not solve the no stop lights issue.
I did get some weird trouble codes that I will research on the JSCAN Facebook page. B16B5 Right Stop Light Circuit High and B16B1 Left Stop Light Circuit High.
I don't know what these mean or if they are something I can fix. I have not worked on the actual Stop Light Switch as it has several wires and is quite hard to get to.....DARN!?!?!?
Anymore Ideas appreciated.

GARY

Well, heck I spent a long time looking into J SCAN settings today and did not solve the no stop lights issue. I did get some weird trouble codes that I will research on the JSCAN Facebook page. B16B5 Right Stop Light Circuit High and B16B1 Left Stop Light Circuit High I don't know what these mean or if they are something I can fix. I have not worked on the actual Stop Light Switch a sit has several wires and is quite hard to get to.....DARN!?!?!?
Anymore Ideas appreciated.

GARY

Bad grounds can cause problems.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
I don't recall any JSCAN settings that specifically referenced 'brake lights'. I know the settings that I screwed around with were in the DRL section.
Worst case, connect up and use JSCAN to reset all settings and then mind your manners while in there the next time.

Reactions: Danarch and BigAL07
So the Stop Lights are still evading me. I got the darn STOP Light Switch out and it seems to be just fine. However, chasing down the wiring diagram it is really weird how embedded the Stop Lights are in the Electronic Control Module. I think I will try resetting the ECU tomorrow. This NO Stop Lights issue is really getting frustrating. Any ideas from the experts on the forum will be greatly appreciated.