Bluetooth pairing trouble

theRealCrazy

JK Enthusiast
Hi all!
I got a 2012 JKUR with I think is the 430N, when I try to pair any phones using the horrible uConnect vocal commands, the system fails everytime after setting up my pin.

I can see the previous owner set up 2 phones successfully though..
Any idea what I can do?
.... beside upgrading to an Alpine

Can you set it up without a PIN? When I set mine up, I just used the default PIN if I remember correctly, which was something like 1111 I believe?

Can you set it up without a PIN? When I set mine up, I just used the default PIN if I remember correctly, which was something like 1111 I believe?
Nope it asks for a pin to set up, which I think is the same pin you need to type on the phone to pair, but says "pairing failed" as soon as I give my pin... uuuugghhh...
I wonder if I should unplug the battery to force reset the radio...

Nope it asks for a pin to set up, which I think is the same pin you need to type on the phone to pair, but says "pairing failed" as soon as I give my pin... uuuugghhh...
I wonder if I should unplug the battery to force reset the radio...

Yep, try resetting the battery, that's where I would start next. Mine asked for a PIN of course, but never gave me any issue after that. Though the UConnect commands and functionality are poor at best.

Well, I unplugged the whole radio to add a back up camera, thought that would do a reset but it didnt, probably has a battery... I need to find a way to force reset it, bluetooth is still a no go, and I love the look of this unit, would love to keep it....

Hard to find a way to do a reset, so if anyone as any idea, it'll be much appreciated!

If by the end of the month I have no luck, I'll buy a new unit... seems like pioneer and kenwood are good choices...

Reactions: Chris
Hi all!
I got a 2012 JKUR with I think is the 430N, when I try to pair any phones using the horrible uConnect vocal commands, the system fails everytime after setting up my pin.

I can see the previous owner set up 2 phones successfully though..
Any idea what I can do?
.... beside upgrading to an Alpine
Hi @theRealCrazy,
Have you tried pairing to use another phone? I am not sure which one is having problem.

I found quick procedure on the Jeep web site.

Ok....
I feel so stupid, but I thought I owned you the explanation of the issue and my solve.

So, it appears that the 430N can only be set up through the vocal commands.
Each time I went through the process:
Setup
Device pairing
Setup new device
Then the radio ask for a pin code, which I gave (0000)
The radio then replies back:
"Pin code is 0000, is this correct?"

To which I reply "correct".
Pairing fails, back to step 1.

So. Where is the problem? The problem is my confirmation. By saying "correct " instead of "yes".
Yup. That's it. Only "yes" and everything works as it should be.

I feel ashamed by my stupidity, the silliness of the radio and the simplicity of the solution.
I also feel happy I don't have to buy a new unit.

Thanks for all your help.

Ok....
I feel so stupid, but I thought I owned you the explanation of the issue and my solve.

So, it appears that the 430N can only be set up through the vocal commands.
Each time I went through the process:
Setup
Device pairing
Setup new device
Then the radio ask for a pin code, which I gave (0000)
The radio then replies back:
"Pin code is 0000, is this correct?"

To which I reply "correct".
Pairing fails, back to step 1.

So. Where is the problem? The problem is my confirmation. By saying "correct " instead of "yes".
Yup. That's it. Only "yes" and everything works as it should be.

I feel ashamed by my stupidity, the silliness of the radio and the simplicity of the solution.
I also feel happy I don't have to buy a new unit.

Thanks for all your help.
Hi @theRealCrazy ,
Can you tell me what is your phone and career? e.g. AT-T/I-phone SE

I refer to the U-Connect System as the "Y"-Connect! It is absolutely horrible and far behind the times! Happy you figured out the issue.

Samsung note 10+ on att.

Hi @theRealCrazy ,
According to Mopar site, your phone is not listed on compatible phones but I think your phone is compatible and the site did not yet updated a list.
Compatible phone list for 12JKU w430.png

anyway please try the following items.

• Delete the pairing history in your phone and Uconnect® system, which is usually found in the phone's Bluetooth® settings.
  • Verify you are selecting “Uconnect” in the discovered Bluetooth devices on your phone.

if you have any another phones, you can try pairing and the result will be helpful for future trouble shooting. Good luck!

Below is general instructions for 430. I believe you already knows...
Pairing Instruction of Galaxy Note9 w430.png

Hi @theRealCrazy ,
According to Mopar site, your phone is not listed on compatible phones but I think your phone is compatible and the site did not yet updated a list.
View attachment 114790
anyway please try the following items.

• Delete the pairing history in your phone and Uconnect® system, which is usually found in the phone's Bluetooth® settings.
  • Verify you are selecting “Uconnect” in the discovered Bluetooth devices on your phone.

if you have any another phones, you can try pairing and the result will be helpful for future trouble shooting. Good luck!

Below is general instructions for 430. I believe you already knows...
View attachment 114791
Thanks but I actually made it work and my phone is now perfectly paired! :)

After buying my 2018 JK used, I decided after the first week of ownership that the OEM radio and sat radio had to get the boot. Put in a Alpine x409 along with Sirus module and Alpine Subwoofer. It is so much better.

After buying my 2018 JK used, I decided after the first week of ownership that the OEM radio and sat radio had to get the boot. Put in a Alpine x409 along with Sirus module and Alpine Subwoofer. It is so much better.
One would think so, with the price of the head unit alone costing over $2600!

The factory sound system (even with the Alpine option) is lackluster at best, that's for sure.

Best sound system I've had in a factory vehicle believe it or not, was in my Dodge Challenger Hellcat with the Harmon Kardon sound system option.

It wasn't as good as a well setup aftermarket sound system, but it was damn good for factory!