Best setup for road and trail

OnATrail

Hello, I have a 2017 Rubicon Unlimited I just purchased. My goal is to strike the best balance between lifting it and upgrading the wheels and tires and still keeping it a vehicle that my wife and teen daughter would still feel comfortable driving. I've driven some setups that were built by the pros and the amount of effort to keep it in the traffic lane was too much to make it worth it in my humble opinion. Can I do a 3" lift with 35" tires and still have control over my JK on the road? If not, what's the max if it's done right? Thanks!

There is no one answer to questions like this. Because there is no one setup that fits all needs. And because there are thousands of lift/wheel/tire combinations available, even if nothing else is changed.
A 3" lift and 35's is pretty mild, and thousands of people drive Jeeps with setups like that. I've got two of them myself, and this forum is packed with others. But what's "worth it" is entirely subjective.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Depending on what gears your Jeep has you might need to regear.

Most 3" lifts will require adjustable control arms, adjustable track bars, longer shocks, longer brake lines.

Also changing tire size you'll need to reprogram the Speedometer so the it reads right.

There is no one answer to questions like this. Because there is no one setup that fits all needs. And because there are thousands of lift/wheel/tire combinations available, even if nothing else is changed.
A 3" lift and 35's is pretty mild, and thousands of people drive Jeeps with setups like that. I've got two of them myself, and this forum is packed with others. But what's "worth it" is entirely subjective.
Thank you. Is there a lift and wheel/tire size known for its ability to keep a great ride on the road? I won't be Boulder climbing. This will be a pavement princess aside from 2 weeks per year in CO and UT, riding trails that are not meant for massive customizations. (Think Fins N Things). Thanks

Thank you. Is there a lift and wheel/tire size known for its ability to keep a great ride on the road? I won't be Boulder climbing. This will be a pavement princess aside from 2 weeks per year in CO and UT, riding trails that are not meant for massive customizations. (Think Fins N Things). Thanks
Again, that depends on your personal definitions. Installing a lift and aftermarket wheels and tires will, 100% change the way it rides. I've got a 2011 with a 3" and a 2013 with a 5", both on 35x12.5/18 Toyo Open Country MT's. I'm perfectly happy with both.
Your best bet is to find examples to drive and see what you think.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Hello, I have a 2017 Rubicon Unlimited I just purchased. My goal is to strike the best balance between lifting it and upgrading the wheels and tires and still keeping it a vehicle that my wife and teen daughter would still feel comfortable driving. I've driven some setups that were built by the pros and the amount of effort to keep it in the traffic lane was too much to make it worth it in my humble opinion. Can I do a 3" lift with 35" tires and still have control over my JK on the road? If not, what's the max if it's done right? Thanks!
A Rubicon, as factory built, is engineered to handle anything but extraordinarily tough rock crawling without needing any serious modifications. A stock Rubicon JK/U can be taken over the Rubicon Trail, given a driver that knows the vehicle, and a decent spotter. So, unless you are looking at some trails tougher than the Rubicon, you probably could better spend your money on recovery gear (winch, snatch blocks, ropes, etc.) than on a lift kit. Lifts look good, and they definitely have their place, but if you aren't looking at really hardcore rock crawling, then the chief off road hazard will be situations where you need to pull yourself or someone else out of poor parking choice. For on the road, depending on your priorities, you might want to look at a less aggressive tire than BFG KO2s that were stock.

It is personal choice, but we have 2.5” lift on three JK’s and very happy with it. It will accommodate 35” tires and keep most of the stock, minus the lift obviously. Stock driveshaft, control arms, steering components etc.

A Rubicon, as factory built, is engineered to handle anything but extraordinarily tough rock crawling without needing any serious modifications.
This is a great point! I think the most I would do on a stock Rubicon would be to bump up to the larger tire size from the later models (285/70R17) which is just under 33" although it wouldn't be totally necessary...

It is personal choice, but we have 2.5” lift on three JK’s and very happy with it. It will accommodate 35” tires and keep most of the stock, minus the lift obviously. Stock driveshaft, control arms, steering components etc.
This. We have 2.5” Metalcloak and run 35s, no rubbing, performs great on and off road. It cost a little more but does everything a moderate lift should while giving a great ride on the highway.

2014 JKU Sahara. 2.5" lift with 35x12.5; 3.73 rear end. Adding an 80lb front steel bumper dropped the lift closer to 2", but still plenty of room for the 35s. Added Pedal Commander for a better throttle response and it does very well on moderate trails and will still run 70+ on the interstate at less than 2600 rpm.

I like the combination. I thought about going to a 4.10 rear end, but I've not had any cause to after 8 years of driving it.