Baxter Oil Filter Adapter

Well mmmmm. Engines have been draining oil into pan on cool down for about 100 years
This is nothing new . But the oil does leave a thin film on surfaces so it’s not really a complexly dry start unless sitting for weeks or months .
I like the idea of traditional oil filter being used .
Interesting idea but I guess my only concern would be the check valve over time getting stuck and starving your engine of oil

Reactions: JerryD and Duster
I was thinking the same thing (about leaving the oil film behind).

Engine design has to work within cost constraints, so there are likely areas that can be improved, but it seems the cost is high for any real benefit gained. Would like to see empirical evidence, say two identical engines with & without the mod torn down after 100k/200k miles and a oil analysis done.

No, I mean a control engine with 200k an a test engine with the modified adapter. I'm just curious as to the diffence in wear
I don't think anyone has done this or is likely to. But, this is a question that was discussed here recently, and I asked our Mechanical Engineering PhD kid about it. He said there will be a difference in wear in the lab (which makes sense) but in the real world it will be totally inconsequential.

Reactions: Speartip
I don't think anyone has done this or is likely to. But, this is a question that was discussed here recently, and I asked our Mechanical Engineering PhD kid about it. He said there will be a difference in wear in the lab (which makes sense) but in the real world it will be totally inconsequential.
That was slightly different, but kind of the same topic with "dry starts". I question
specifically whether this mod would make any difference in wear. I agree I don't think anybody's going to spend the money to do the research when they can just make the money by selling the product. Okay, maybe I'm a little cynical :)

That was slightly different, but kind of the same topic with "dry starts". I question
specifically whether this mod would make any difference in wear. I agree I don't think anybody's going to spend the money to do the research when they can just make the money by selling the product. Okay, maybe I'm a little cynical :)
I don't think you're being cynical. There are TONS of products on the market that make no difference, not even theoretically, and people buy them.

Reactions: Speartip