Battery replacement

Acxman

JK Enthusiast
Hey All, I need to replace my battery. 2008 jk 3.8L. Is there any special procedure I need to be concerned about. Will I have to reprogram a bunch of stuff or is there a step by step needed to prevent any electronic disaster ??

Disconnect the negative cable. Disconnect the positive cable. Disconnect the tie down. Lift the battery out. Now do everything in reverse order to install the new one.

Or go someplace like Batteries Plus or Advanced Auto. They will sell you the battery, swap it, and dispose of the old one.

A real pain in the Bum, compared to my 1996 GMT 400. Am on my third battery, I replace one every 5yrs, (even if it passes my load test) because of the cold winters. Note, my anchor bolt rusted and broke years ago and had to MacGyver a new one. All Good

Reactions: Speartip
A real pain in the Bum, compared to my 1996 GMT 400. Am on my third battery, I replace one every 5yrs, (even if it passes my load test) because of the cold winters. Note, my anchor bolt rusted and broke years ago and had to MacGyver a new one. All Good
This makes so much sense. I've never really understood why people wait for consumables to wear out before replacing them. That's how you end up stranded.

Preventive maintenance beats repairs hands down.

Hey All, I need to replace my battery. 2008 jk 3.8L. Is there any special procedure I need to be concerned about. Will I have to reprogram a bunch of stuff or is there a step by step needed to prevent any electronic disaster ??
There's nothing much to it, just don't plug it in backwards or touch a wrench between the battery posts and you should be fine.

No. Jeep does things pretty much correctly on the Wrangler. No worries about having to notify the system the battery is a replacement or any of the other nonsense that some of the "smarter" vehicles require these days. Just, as the others say, pay attention to the order of disconnecting and connecting the main leads.

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
No truer words have ever been spoken
Agree 100 percent
My first 4X4 was a 1990 Isuzu Trooper which could climb trees if necessary. I bought it new, and carried out regular PM, and even took it in to the dealer while under warranty. It did not leak fluids, over heat, or show any signs of other problems. Then one day, I and my partner were out surveying in the High Cascades, and when we got back to the car, it wouldn't start. I got a rolling start. We drove back to the motel. Walked out to leave for dinner. It had restarted when I parked it, but not this time. We wound up seeking a new battery in Salem, Oregon on a Sunday night. Worse, my lovely wife had cleaned up the inside. Finding a bundle of socket wrenches under the seat, she thoughtfully put them away in the shop. So, I managed to find an open store, bought a battery, discovered the missing wrenches, bought a set of wrenches, installed the battery and collected the core charge in the last 15 minutes before the store closed. Dinner was something odd like doughnuts and coffee. Even when you are careful about PM, things can still sneak up on you. So, I stick to manual shifts, always carry wrenches, water, and some food.

My first 4X4 was a 1990 Isuzu Trooper which could climb trees if necessary. I bought it new, and carried out regular PM, and even took it in to the dealer while under warranty. It did not leak fluids, over heat, or show any signs of other problems. Then one day, I and my partner were out surveying in the High Cascades, and when we got back to the car, it wouldn't start. I got a rolling start. We drove back to the motel. Walked out to leave for dinner. It had restarted when I parked it, but not this time. We wound up seeking a new battery in Salem, Oregon on a Sunday night. Worse, my lovely wife had cleaned up the inside. Finding a bundle of socket wrenches under the seat, she thoughtfully put them away in the shop. So, I managed to find an open store, bought a battery, discovered the missing wrenches, bought a set of wrenches, installed the battery and collected the core charge in the last 15 minutes before the store closed. Dinner was something odd like doughnuts and coffee. Even when you are careful about PM, things can still sneak up on you. So, I stick to manual shifts, always carry wrenches, water, and some food.

Think it’s wise to always be prepared for a possible breakdown . We can practice all the preventative maintenance in the world but shit does break or stop working with zero warning on occasion .
That said chances are better you can drive out of trail rather than hike if aging components are replaced before a breakage occurs .
Doing my wheel bearings next week . I’m 2nd owner so have no idea when they replaced last .
I’ve actually replaced many items on the Jeep just because I don’t know when it was done last .

Just inherited my Ma's 2013 Honda 26K miles. Has killed 4 batteries to date, there is a parasitic drain to trouble shoot. What is worst, that, or a Chrysler TIPM?
That probably depends on which generation of TIPM you're dealing with, and if it uses any mechanical internal relays. One thing you can say about the TIPM is that it can simplify diagnosis. Parasitic drains - at the least the two I ever dealt with - were fiendish hard to isolate.