Battery or Alternator Issues?

Dyl-Gutz

Hey Everyone!

First off, I'm by no means a mechanic and am not very well versed with car parts but I am learning so bare with me!

I have a 2018 Wrangler JK and I just replaced the battery about a month ago. This week, I've noticed some issues when trying to start my jeep up. The car sometimes won't turn over and everything resets as if the battery died. Typically, I'll try to start it, it won't start on the first try, then on the second try it will start right up with no issues, but the radio resets as if the battery died. It seems to get worse the colder it gets and today it wouldn't start at all.

I've also noticed that my check engine light has been popping up when the temperature drops to 40 or below.

I've been looking up solutions and everything says to check the alternator or battery, but I haven't found any threads that mirror my issue.

Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have advice on how I can fix this?

Reactions: vaffanculo
Hey Everyone!

First off, I'm by no means a mechanic and am not very well versed with car parts but I am learning so bare with me!

I have a 2018 Wrangler JK and I just replaced the battery about a month ago. This week, I've noticed some issues when trying to start my jeep up. The car sometimes won't turn over and everything resets as if the battery died. Typically, I'll try to start it, it won't start on the first try, then on the second try it will start right up with no issues, but the radio resets as if the battery died. It seems to get worse the colder it gets and today it wouldn't start at all.

I've also noticed that my check engine light has been popping up when the temperature drops to 40 or below.

I've been looking up solutions and everything says to check the alternator or battery, but I haven't found any threads that mirror my issue.

Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have advice on how.

Hey Everyone!

Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have advice on how I can fix this?
Had the same issue on my j/k and would turn the key and nothing would happen no crank light and so did others on here ..so sounds like a bad ground easiest solution is too run a heavy guage wire[about something twice as thick as a speaker wire] from the ground on the battery terminal to the alternator bracket bolt this solved the problem for me and many others ..good luck keep us posted

Still have the OEM battery clamps? They’re a regular player in electrical gremlins. They are flimsy and quickly lose connectivity. Swap them out for some solid style old school terminal clamps.
Thanks for the tip! You were right. The positive clamp was a little loose and once I adjusted it, the jeep started right up. I've placed a pin between the clamp and terminal post to make the connection snug for now until I can get the part. Do you have a link for the clamps you used? Or is it something I can get at any auto parts store?

Thanks for the tip! You were right. The positive clamp was a little loose and once I adjusted it, the jeep started right up. I've placed a pin between the clamp and terminal post to make the connection snug for now until I can get the part. Do you have a link for the clamps you used? Or is it something I can get at any auto parts store?

You can get ones like these at Walmart or any Parts Store, they will be 100% better then yours.

Reactions: tJKrider
These are the clamps I went with. Vgate. You will need to cut the OEM clamps off. I had a terminal lug kit and crimped new lugs on the positive and negative cables. My only gripe was I wish I had done it sooner!

20230815_171901.jpg