Are 33's even worth it?

Tahdi

I’m looking to put a 2.5 suspension lift on my JK, I want bigger tires. The difference between the stock and 33’s isn’t very much. Is that size popular because of how it works with a lifted Jk? It’s not that new tires are needed. They are wanted. 😀 I want to make sure to do the mods right the first time. Thanks!

If you go bigger than 33s you might want to check into regearing as well. Plus cost is a factor, 35 are more expensive, also longer to inflate/deflate on trails.
33s are the biggest you can fit without changing anything, that's why they're popular. My 2cts

Reactions: Tahdi
If you go bigger than 33s you might want to check into regearing as well. Plus cost is a factor, 35 are more expensive, also longer to inflate/deflate on trails.
33s are the biggest you can fit without changing anything, that's why they're popular. My 2cts

X2 to this.

35s take a bit more work, and you'll most definitely want to re-gear.

If you plan on off-roading, you'll also want ideally 3.5" or more of lift for 35s, which means more money.

I think 33s are worth it by all means, but I also think it depends on what your intended use is for the vehicle.

Reactions: Zaythedad and Tahdi
I appreciate it!

X2 to this.

35s take a bit more work, and you'll most definitely want to re-gear.

If you plan on off-roading, you'll also want ideally 3.5" or more of lift for 35s, which means more money.

I think 33s are worth it by all means, but I also think it depends on what your intended use is for the vehicle.
The vast majority of the time it’s my daily driver. I feel better about the 33’s now. TY

Reactions: Oscar-Mike
The vast majority of the time it’s my daily driver. I feel better about the 33’s now. TY

Yep, if it's just a daily, I can assure you that you'll enjoy a smaller tire as oppose to a bigger one.

35s are nice, but unless you're off-roading a lot or just really need the look, there's no reason to go with 35s over 33s.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Tahdi
Does anyone have a picture of 33/10.5/17 on a jk without a lift?
I also offroad quite a lot, stock lift with 33s and totally happy... I have full skid plates under so I feel more confident, and will probably 2.5"aev lift it at one point. But this rig is so capable off the bat it's amazing.

Note that mine are 255/75r17, so .9" less wide that the 33x10.5 but it should give you a good idea

20200524_093500-01.jpeg

This is my go to site for tire size checking Tiresize.com

I run 285/ 70 / r17s which are essentially 32.7ish x 11.2

IMG_20200609_140058.jpg

In this pick I have a 1.5 teraflex basic leveling kit. Tomorrow I'm installing the teraflex 2.5 spring kit with the vss shocks.. unless I get rained out.

One thing to remember when increasing the size of your tires you can create clearance issues with stock rims. These tires would physically not fit on the jeep with stock rims, I needed more back spacing. My buddy still picks on me about that.

View attachment 116092

In this pick I have a 1.5 teraflex basic leveling kit. Tomorrow I'm installing the teraflex 2.5 spring kit with the vss shocks.. unless I get rained out.

One thing to remember when increasing the size of your tires you can create clearance issues with stock rims. These tires would physically not fit on the jeep with stock rims, I needed more back spacing. My buddy still picks on me about that.

Thanks for the website link, very helpful information there!

View attachment 116092

Did you take pictures with the lift?

View attachment 116092

If you remove the mudflap I think it will look better IMO.

I will also add on to this in saying even if you get "35s" you are really only getting 33.5-34inch tires.
I run the 35inch equivalent of Cooper STT Pros and they measure 34 at full tread. My dad's jeeps have Toyos, which are supposed to run true to size, and they still only measure 34 for their claimed 35s.
We have a Jeep with Toyo 37s and they are measuring at 35".

It really sucks that nothing is true to size.

Still working on it. Lol. Broke the lower shock bolts for the rear which are "special" and then Monday is my busy day so no jeep work happened. Also fighting random rain.

Rear is finally done, flipping to the front. Hopefully no more really bad bolts. I'll get a pic up when I finish.

IMG_20200609_140058.jpg
Lifted day one.jpg

Before and after.

It wasn't too bad, just time consuming. Quite a bit harder because I just used jack-stands and a couple well used jacks. Would have gone faster if I didn't have to get down and back up every time I needed a different tool or moved to a new section. Or I was younger.

Now to get it aligned.