Another Overheating Thread

aflack23

I had replaced my thermostat probably 2 months ago after some overheating issues. It has been fine and then all of a sudden it started overheating again at highway speeds. It was fine when driving at slow city speeds. I have purged all of the air out of the system while the jeep was inclined. Did that 2 nights in a row until I got no more air out. Water pump is working, thermostat is opening when it should. Fan is kicking on, system has the proper coolant, and the radiator cap is OEM and correct for the Jeep. Has anyone ever had a bad coolant temperature sensor? I was wondering if this could be my problem since all of the other common issues seem to be ok. Thanks in advance.

Have you verified that it is actually overheating with a IR temp gun?

What year is the Jeep?

Another observation to report is that when I start the Jeep from cold I hear a gurgling sound from the dash area. I dont hear it after the temp warms up or if its a "hot start".
Couple things in this comment:
1. A gurgling sound indicates there is still air in the system.
2. If you turn on the heat, what is happening? Is there hot or cold air flow?

As much as you've tried, there still may be air in the system. And/or, the heater core may be bad?

Couple things in this comment:
1. A gurgling sound indicates there is still air in the system.
2. If you turn on the heat, what is happening? Is there hot or cold air flow?

As much as you've tried, there still may be air in the system. And/or, the heater core may be bad?
Heat is getting hot as it should. I am going to change coolant temp sensor this evening and try to burp some more. I have been purging the system with the front end raised and using one of the coolant funnels.

Heat is getting hot as it should. I am going to change coolant temp sensor this evening and try to burp some more. I have been purging the system with the front end raised and using one of the coolant funnels.
I, personally, think the coolant funnel is a waste of money.

I wrote several lengthy posts a couple years ago when my t-stat stuck open and was getting a "below operating temp" code.
I got the front end up 4 inches or so with a floor jack, blocked the wheels and removed the radiator cap. No engine start. Added coolant directly to the radiator to the cap level, let it settle and burp, until it remained and no more air was seemingly present. This wasn't a 5 minute fix, either. I can tell you I was letting coolant settle for several minutes sometimes. I think the whole process took about a half hour or so.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I, personally, think the coolant funnel is a waste of money.

I wrote several lengthy posts a couple years ago when my t-stat stuck open and was getting a "below operating temp" code.
I got the front end up 4 inches or so with a floor jack, blocked the wheels and removed the radiator cap. No engine start. Added coolant directly to the radiator to the cap level, let it settle and burp, until it remained and no more air was seemingly present. This wasn't a 5 minute fix, either. I can tell you I was letting coolant settle for several minutes sometimes. I think the whole process took about a half hour or so.
I purged mine last night while it was running with heat on high. and left some level in the funnel overnight with the engine off of course. It drank probably 1/4 of the funnel level overnight. When I drove it this morning the same thing occurred. Temps started slowly rising about the 1/2 way mark as I got to speeds around 60-65 mph.

Another thing to note is that when I do a cold start the temp gauge climbs to almost halfway only a mile or so down the road.

About halfway on the gauge is where you want to be. And, yes, a mile or so down the road before it gets to operating temp is normal. The only other thing I can think of would be the t-stat. They are made with different temperature ranges.
I have a '14 JKU and the normal coolant temp is between 206-226. At the high end (226), the high speed fan should kick in.

Going home this evening and changing the thermostat, the coolant temp sensor and going to flush the cooling system. After all this I am going to refill and purge the system again. Fingers crossed!! Will update later.

Now my Jeep is throwing a code after changing the Coolant Temp Sensor. Of course the thermostat isn't opening now because of this. What next?? I don't have a code reader

Now my Jeep is throwing a code after changing the Coolant Temp Sensor. Of course the thermostat isn't opening now because of this. What next?? I don't have a code reader

When your trying to get the air out of the system are you raising the front of the Jeep up at least 6" higher? That will help the air pocket get out and have the engine idling cap off.

When your trying to get the air out of the system are you raising the front of the Jeep up at least 6" higher? That will help the air pocket get out and have the engine idling cap off.
Yes, the front end is up on the driveway and the back is off of it. It's about 7" difference. And yes cap is off

Now that I'm getting that engine light I can't really test anything. I'm sure that's keeping my thermostat from opening

The thermostat isn't electronically controlled, also the engine has to get up to operating temp to get the T-Stat to open.

Wonder what caused my code then? Wish I had a code reader here!!
Do the key dance. Put your key in ignition, turn it to on but don't start the Jeep, leave it on for 3 seconds, turn off, turn on, leave on for 3 seconds, turn off, turn on and leave it on. Where your mileage is on the dash it will show you what code(s) it's throwing. Then you can Google the code(s) or ask here.