Another oil cooler bites the dust

I got it done on Saturday and all is well now but because the Dorman unit is on back order, I had to throw an Amazon unit in there. Hopefully it lasts a while. Adding insult to Injury, the Intake was dripping with oil so I got the pleasure of also buying a $170 PCV Valve from the dealer.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
That honestly is a real shitty design. It's like they tried
to reinvent the wheel . It would have been so much
easier and way more reliable if they went with
a traditional external oil filter. Mount radiator style
external oil cooler wherever with the feed mounted
between oil filter and block .Done .
Instead it's this fucking mess to deal with if there
is an issue . I feel for you guys.
TBH I just recently read about this design as was thinking about getting a newer JK and was researching the 3.6.
The 3.8 ‘s have the traditional external oil filter .

Last edited:
I just had yet another oil cooler/filter housing break on my 2014 Rubicon. This one only lasted 4 months. Last time it was oil everywhere. This time it is allowing oil into the coolant. Does anyone make an aftermarket unit that is superior in quality?
TIA
Dorman makes an all aluminum oil cooler

Reactions: mrjp and Speartip
I just had yet another oil cooler/filter housing break on my 2014 Rubicon. This one only lasted 4 months. Last time it was oil everywhere. This time it is allowing oil into the coolant. Does anyone make an aftermarket unit that is superior in quality?
TIA
So is it the oil filter housing that typically fails on JKs, or does the filter itself typically fail, too? Thanks.

Reactions: Speartip
So is it the oil filter housing that typically fails on JKs, or does the filter itself typically fail, too? Thanks.
Someplace on here I posted a video of a guy that looked at his old oil cooler to figure out where the issue was and at least for him it was related to the cap for the filter. Basically, it was fixable without pulling stuff apart. I posted it in the last couple months or more recent.

found it, The O-ring on the cap should be replaced every time you change oil.. and then don't overtighten, and never ever use an impact on the cap.

Reactions: Speartip