4Low Information

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feel a little dumb posting this but here it goes. Is there any risk of increased wear and tear, increased temperature on gear oils etc when using 4L for extended periods of time? The reason I ask is I had YJ for about 9 years, four wheeled a fair amount and used 4H and 4L depending on the conditions. I am not sure as I never actually checked the gear ratio, but I believe it was the 3.21, standard 5sp. Now I have the JKH Rubicon HR, the 4:1 transfer case, and 4.10 gears manual 6sp. The thing Is just incredible when in 4L, plenty of power, torque etc, flip side in 4H it just seems useless except basically on a flat dirt road. Yes I’ve held down the esp / traction button by holding down the button to turn it off, but it just doesn’t seem to work all that well. Switching back and forth between 4H and 4L can be annoying especially with a group of people. So I end up finding myself leaving it in 4L and shifting to 4th, 5th gear etc. But rolling around in the back of my head I keep thinking, man it can’t be good to leave it in 4L all this time.

Thank you, probably right. One side of the brain says “its just gears a turning either way”. One could argue it’s less work in 4L since it has the power. Just keep shifting to keep the RPM’s down. That first gear is something else. I‘ve basically just decided that 4H is good for on road driving in the snow or something as the Jeeps just seems to sort of bog down on trails.

Last edited: