40 inch tires rubbing on frame

4LO4ROX

Hey everyone. Ok here's my specs....40x13.5x17 tires on 17x8.5 wheels with 0 offset and 1.75 inch wheel spacer from when i had 37s. Metalcloak 3.5 inch suspension lift and 1.25 inch body lift. I can't turn my wheel lock to lock without tire rubbing on the frame. I am wondering how much more spacer do I need to have tires not rub the frame.

Have to agree with all the above comments . A 13.5” wide tire should be on a min 10” wide wheel . That ballooning taking place can permantly damage side walls .
Zero degree offset . Not sure how that translates to back spacing . But you want a rim with 4.5” back spacing . It will push the wheel out .
I don’t like spacers as they can in the long run cause premature failure of bearing/hub . It’s a band aid .
As @Dirtydog said . Running a 40” on factory axles , add in wheel spacers is a recipe for disaster .
There is another member doing a build with 42”.
While expensive he is doing it by the book A+. The right way , no short cuts . Maybe take the time and read @Qaddictions Vader build thread . It will give you a good idea what’s all involved to running a 40 or 42” tire .

Last edited:
You are limited by the axle width. Your first recourse is as little backspacing in the wheels as possible. Then you are left with spacers. They are not ideal and frowned upon, but obviously people run them. 40's come with a price. If that price includes axles, go wider. Much wider if you want a normal steering radius. I'm sure there are people out there on JK Dana 44's running 40's, but those people will have a limited steering radius and fight rubbing the frame like you. I built up my Rubicon JKU Dana 44's with a truss, chromoly axles, and welded inner C brackets. I felt like that was good enough for 37's, or maybe 38's. I went with 37's. No issues so far.

I'm in the process of trying to fit 42x13.5x20 tires under my JKU. However, my axles are 8" wider than stock, I have 10" wide wheels, and I have less backspacing. I trimmed the body quite a bit. I'll find out in a couple weeks what kind of turning radius that leaves me with.

I want to see pictures... 40s... oh yeah... I may end up doing it too...

It’ll look something like this .lol
5E4AC9BB-A5A1-4A4F-A54B-146522D2BBCA.png

Frankly, I'm surprised you haven't broken something yet. Your current set-up is a recipe for a multi-thousand dollar repair bill in your future. And I will echo everything already said:
1. Correct wheels to accommodate those tires with proper backspacing (4.5")
2. Lose the spacers. They void just about any warranty and you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone willing to work on your front end.
3. Costly, maybe, but beef up the axles. A stock axle is good for anything up to a 35. Beyond that, some mods are needed and, as stated above, with a 40, a whole new axle front and back is the proper way to go.

If I'm being brutally honest, 1 day of trails with your current configuration may result in a week in the shop, if the parts are available. And who wants a JK that is ready to drive less than 20% of the time?

Another question and another list of possibilities: what kind of transmission and gears are you running?

It’ll look something like this .lolView attachment 124036
One of my old girlfriends Piloted a 120Ton Diesel Electric Dynamic braking haulage bed ( a CAT?) at the coal mines in Dawson Creek BC, Circa mid 80s. Had AC, AUTO trans, tape deck, radio, power windows, power this and that. She made fun of my first brand new ride ($5000CND) a 1986 Nissan Micra. Got me around Toronto, I says. Good Times.

Reactions: mrjp and Speartip
One of my old girlfriends Piloted a 120Ton Diesel Electric Dynamic braking haulage bed ( a CAT?) at the coal mines in Dawson Creek BC, Circa mid 80s. Had AC, AUTO trans, tape deck, radio, power windows, power this and that. She made fun of my first brand new ride ($5000CND) a 1986 Nissan Micra. Got me around Toronto, I says. Good Times.

They got some massive earth moving equipment at the oil sands project near Ft Mcmurray as well .
Were you ever able to go for a ride in one or was it just a single seater your GF drove?

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
@4LO4ROX WE gave you alot of good suggestions are you going to respond back?

Me thinks the OP is in the wind . One & Done .
Probably didn’t like expensive harsh reality of the situation he put himself in .
If people would just take a moment and research mods they want to do . Would have a much better understanding of what’s all involved . Things to do , things NOT to do.
How many times a month does a new member cone on and ask “ want a 4” lift “ .
I honestly don’t even bother with those anymore .
Like at the very least do uTube research . There are some great channels that literally will walk you threw just about anything .
I would feel dif about if guys would say hey , “I’m thinking about adding this . Did some research , what do you think or brand xyz. Is there anything I may have overlooked in the planning dept “
Like you know . I think part of the problem is society in general . Everybody wants it yesterday . Information , food, products we purchase can be had so fast . Many people just don’t take the time to think about stuff anymore .

Me thinks the OP is in the wind . One & Done .
Probably didn’t like expensive harsh reality of the situation he put himself in .
I think this factors in to a lot of posts, not just here but on a lot of forums.

No research or planning. Just "I bought [whatever], how can I make it work without spending any more money?"