2016 Willys still leaking after upper oil pan (frustrated 1st timer)

ingloriousoz

TLDR
Frustrated first time Jeep owner here, purchased a 2016 Willys Unlimited 3.6 AT with 89k, I've owned it for 2 weeks and it's been in the shop for the majority. Utah is a "buyer beware" state with no recourse and it seems I got a bad rig.

The brakes were shot, Radiator had a leak, and the worst of it was a slow oil leaking from the passenger side plug here. I took it in they confirmed the Oil Cooler reservoir area that is commonly the culprit was "totally dry" and told me it was the upper oil pan.

This is just an example photo:

Leak Area.jpg

So I had them do the upper oil pan, only drove it about 6 miles from the repair shop (Jeep Dealership), parked it in front of a store and came out to see a couple drops of oil under the Jeep coming from the same place - Called the shop they said its now going to be the Rear Main Seal and quoted me about another $1600 to get that done. I have to say this shop/dealership has been pretty good to us, we've taken our Challenger there for years, the Service Advisor we've always worked with is extremely honest and helps us out with short-notice appointments - the technicians are hit or miss though:

On our 2015 Challenger (with the same 3.6) that was misfiring (without error codes) - they misdiagnosed the issue 4 times (Mismatched tires, manifold replacement, Motor mount, something else) before a different tech there hopped in and correctly ID'd the bad coils and it's been fine ever since. The "process of elimination" diagnosis game some places play is an absolute headache.

So I'm desperate and reaching out here because I've already spent almost $4k out of pocket on these repairs without even putting a 100 miles on it, I don't want to move forward with this rear main seal job if they're going to come back the next day and say it's the next costly thing as they narrow it down.

Outside of DIY and taking it to another shop are there any advice on other culprits that can be narrowed down without jumping right to the rear main seal?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Dirty Dog