2015 JKU runs hot

Kevyluv

I have a 2015 JKU that the engine temp constantly runs 245+ At highway speeds. Before this the Jeep had a bad thermostat that has been replaced twice now. The increase in coolant temp started after the replacement. I have also had the radiator replaced with an OEM replacement and a new engine dropped in and still running close to 250. I have not boiled over yet and I definitely don’t want to. This engine is a 3.6 liter V6. In order to bring the temps down I turn on the heater full blast. City streets the Jeep runs at 222-240 with A/C on. I did check my fan clutch and the fan spins with no resistance when off and engine cold. Any thoughts? I’m a little frustrated at this point. Jeep has a winch and aftermarket bumper. Mechanic removed winch and bumper to test and found no change in temps.

Does the fan come on when it’s at 226? How is the level in the overflow tank? I assume no loss of coolant?

So, I burped the system tonight. Very little air was present but I did notice that the thermostat didn’t open up until the engine hit 220 degrees. It’s a 203 thermostat. Looks like I’ll be changing that out tomorrow. I test drove it after burping it and it still ran at 240 with no A/C and dropped to 230 at times. With A/C it hit 250. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Well I think I fixed it. So I purchased a new 203 degree thermostat last night and installed it this morning. Replaced the lost coolant from the install and bled the system. While bleeding it the temp got to 203 and the thermostat fully opened and cooled the engine down to 195 degrees. Took it for a test drive and with no load on it it never reached 220. With only the A/C running as load it got as high as 224. Hopefully this was the issue and this thermostat will last.

You're not the first person to pay for a bad thermostat. Not sure why it's as common as it is, but it does happen pretty frequently.
Glad you got it fixed.

And I guarantee you'll be watching your temp gauge more than usual for the next 2 months
Lol… I’ll be watching it from here on out.

Reactions: mrjp