2015 Jeep Wrangler in limp mode

Lori

2015 JK in limp mode. Code was P0743. One transmission place said it was an electrical problem and would not give me a price to go through the whole electrical system. Took it to another transmission place and had transmission fluid and filter changed and torque converter clutch solenoid circuit replaced but that did not fix problem. Told me I needed a rebuilt transmission. Told me parts were on back order and they are not nice at all when I call and ask about the Jeep. Help! I am worried that a rebuilt transmission won't fix the problem either-is it electrical or is it the transmission?

So are you saying that the Shop still has your Jeep? If so and they won't talk to you about it I sure wouldn't let them do anything else to it.

I'm not a expert but there is a good chance it's a electrical problem, bad grounds will cause alot of electrical problems. The junk Factory battery clamps will cause electrical problems and should be replaced with some HD clamps.

Have you had this Jeep for sometime and this just happened, or did you just buy it?

Thank you for responding!! I have owned the Jeep for about 2 years. I was told by the transmission place that the replacement transmission parts are on back order. It's been about a month. I was told it would cost about $3000 to rebuild the transmission. I was thinking about getting it back and just parking it until spring and have a friend start checking the electrical system. I am at a loss and I see many threads on the forum stating all the different things others have tried with the limp mode problem. Right now I don't like the lack of answers and the disrespect the transmission place has shown-causes lack of trust. It is about a 28 mile drive to get the jeep back, how much damage will I do driving it on the back roads in limp mode?

Thank you for responding!! I have owned the Jeep for about 2 years. I was told by the transmission place that the replacement transmission parts are on back order. It's been about a month. I was told it would cost about $3000 to rebuild the transmission. I was thinking about getting it back and just parking it until spring and have a friend start checking the electrical system. I am at a loss and I see many threads on the forum stating all the different things others have tried with the limp mode problem. Right now I don't like the lack of answers and the disrespect the transmission place has shown-causes lack of trust. It is about a 28 mile drive to get the jeep back, how much damage will I do driving it on the back roads in limp mode?

I've never had a vehicle that did the limp mode thing but from what i've heard it will only go so fast. If you know someone with a truck just rent a trailer and haul it home.

@Lori It is worth your time to get a second opinion. That code may be purely electrical (wiring, ECU, ground, etc) or may be related to a mechanical component (transmission, torque converter, etc) that is causing the code. Some shops will jump to an extreme solution. You may need a trans, but I would want some consensus before I pulled the trigger on something like that...

Agree with @BLACKJKU to either rent a trailer (Uhaul rents car haulers) or have it towed home. Don't drive it if it is in limp home mode. It would be fine to drive it under it's own power onto a trailer, though, if necessary.

Thank you for all the input and I tend to agree to bring my jeep home. Am waiting for a response from the shop and then will make plans to bring her home. It may be awhile but will post what will get her up and running again!!

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Thank you for all the input and I tend to agree to bring my jeep home. Am waiting for a response from the shop and then will make plans to bring her home. It may be awhile but will post what will get her up and running again!!

Be sure to keep us updated so we know if it has a happy ending and what your fix was for it.

I had the same limp mode I have been fighting, this sounds crazy but it worked for me. Unplug a rear wheel abs sensor and see if it stays out of limp mode. Abs light will be on

Reactions: BLACKJKU